Recent Reviews Digits
Digits Ireland - 23-Jul-22
We first visited a quiet, sunny Thingvellir in the summer of 2013, as a standard one-hour stop off on the aforementioned Golden Circle tour from Reykjavik, which also took in Gullfoss, Strokkur Geyser and some snowmobiling. The previous reviews are correct, in that a tour stop off didn’t bring the depth that the site otherwise could being a visitor. Yes, we got the magnificent backdrop and the importance and age of the parliament and its link with the sagas - what UNESCO terms “a unique reflection of medieval Norse/Germanic culture”. We walked the boardwalks and took in the cliff-top view from the unvisited visitor centreRead On
Vatnajökull National Park
Digits Ireland - 09-Jul-22
We visited the very edge of Vatnajökull National Park in the summer of 2013 during our lap of the Iceland ring road. We arrived at the Jökulsarlon Ice Lagoon early in the morning driving from Hofn, after accidentally flirting with danger on the infamous Road 939 in our rickety Toyota Yaris the evening before.
We had booked a 1 hour rib boat tour, but unfortunately when we arrived, a deep fog had descended. This meant we couldn’t see the glacial lake and that the tour couldn’t go up to the glacier edge, but it did add an ethereal mystical quality to floating among the multicoloured or even clear icebergs (our first such experience).
Digits Ireland - 02-Jul-22
We visited Ephesus in the spring of 2013 on a private guided tour from Izmir.
We first made a quick stop at the House of the Virgin Mary. A walk up a wooded path leads to a small brick building. The three memories which come to mind are pilgrims placing thin lit candles outside, the water running out of the house believed to have healing powers, but mainly the tour guide suspiciously spying on her boyfriend simultaneously giving a tour to a single woman! On the way down, there is a lovely view over the landscape, with Ephesus tucked in below the hillside.
Digits Ireland - 20-Jun-22
With my brother’s wife being from Honduras, it was a certainty we would have to visit the country during our Central America trip in the summer of 2016.
Like others, we crossed into Honduras from Guatemala at the El Florido crossing (our driver’s taking of various other border crossings between Guatemala and El Salvador raised some eyebrows elsewhere) and overnighted in Copan Ruinas at the Hotel Magdalena. A five minute drive early in the morning brought us to the wooded trail to the ruins, the colours of the macaws flashing between the trees.
Digits Ireland - 26-May-22
We visited Ilulissat for a two day-one night stay in July 2017. An unexpected opening for a trip arose and, in what was a sad sign of the times, we said we had better go to Greenland while the ice was still there.
We arrived by plane from Reykjavik. The experience of simply flying over Greenland was something else - the ice-capped mountains, the glaciers calving into the sea, the never ending white blanket, the blue pools of water that sometimes accumulated on top of the ice, the then amazing sight of land with no ice covering at all! The plane then banked directly over the mouth of the icefjord on its approach to the tiny airport, with the majestic icebergs of Disko Bay on view in all their glory.Read On
- Most Impressive
- Ireland - Early Medieval Monastic Sites
Recently Visited WHS
- Update 02.09.23
- Cologne Cathedral
- Castles of Augustusburg and Falkenlust
- Lower German Limes
- Funerary and memory sites of the First World War
Visited WHSRating StatsPetra 5Joya de Ceren 4.5St. Petersburg 4.5Brugge 4Copán 4Ephesus 4Salzburg 4Blenheim Palace 3.5Budapest 3.5City of Bath 3.5Edinburgh 3.5Giant's Causeway 3.5Granada 3.5Lake District 3.5Old Havana 3.5Skocjan Caves 3.5Stonehenge 3.5Thingvellir 3.5Vienna 3.5Wadi Rum 3.5Istanbul 3Kraków 3Prague 3Troy 3Valletta 3Belfries 2.5Drottningholm 2.5Panamá 2.5Saltaire 2
- Amalienborg and its district (T)
- Archaeological Site and Historic Centre of Panamá City (T)
- Ayvalık Industrial Landscape (T)
- Brooklyn Bridge (T)
- Bulwarked Frontier Fortifications (T)
- Çanakkale (Dardanelles) and Gelibolu (Gallipoli) Battles Zones in the First World War (T)
- Central Park (T)
- Chapultepec Woods, Hill and Castle (T)
- Cittadella (Victoria - Gozo) (T)
- Classical Karst (in Slovene language: Klasicni kras) (T)
- Coastal Cliffs (T)
- Gdansk - Town of Memory and Freedom (T)
- Khor Dubai (T)
- Knights Fortifications around the Harbours of Malta (T)
- Le champ de bataille de Waterloo, la fin de l’épopée napoléonienne (T)
- Le chemin de fer de Cerdagne (T)
- Le noyau historique ou la 'Cuve' de Gand, et les deux abbayes qui sont à son origine (T)
- Le Panorama de la Bataille de Waterloo, exemple particulièrement significatif de « Phénomène de Panoramas » (T)
- Les passages de Bruxelles / Les Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert (T)
- Les témoignages matériels de la construction de l’État des Pyrénées : la Co-principauté d’Andorre (A) (T)
- Leuven/Louvain, batiments universitaires, l'héritage de six siècles au sein du centre historique (T)
- Massif du Mont Blanc (T)
- Mdina (Citta Vecchia) (T)
- Mývatn and Laxá (T)
- Qawra/Dwejra (T)
- Route of the Peace and National Identity (T)
- The Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá (Ruta Colonial Transístmica de Panamá) (T)
- The Memorial of Chatam Sófer (T)
- The Royal Sites of Ireland: Cashel, Dún Ailinne, Hill of Uisneach, Rathcroghan Complex, and Tara Complex (T)
- The Walk of Peace from the Alps to the Adriatic – Heritage of the First World War (T)
- Thingvellir National Park (T)
- Trading Posts and Fortifications on Genoese Trade Routes from the Mediterranean to the Black Sea (T)
- VIKING MONUMENTS AND SITES / Thingvellir National Park (T)