Archaeological Site and Historic Centre of Panamá City is part of the Tentative list of Panama in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List. This site (or parts of it) has already been inscribed under Panamá WHS.
The Archaeological Site and Historic Centre of Panamá City represents the first European settlement on the Pacific coast of the Americas, and its continuation as an important colonial city on a different location. This TWHS is a proposed boundary modification of the WHS "Archaeological Site of Panamá Viejo and Historic District of Panamá".
Map of Panamá CityLoad map
The coordinates shown for all tentative sites were produced as a community effort. They are not official and may change on inscription.
For a while I thought, Panama was really trying to nominate the same site for a third time. Panama is a WHS already. And it's also part of the The Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá nomination scheduled for the 2019 WHC.
But by comparing the nomination name of the tentative site and the original Panama site, I now believe this is a simple modification proposal:
- Full name of WHS: Archaeological Site of Panamá Viejo and Historic District of Panamá
- Full name of Tentative Site: Archaeological Site and Historic Centre of Panamá City
It's really hard to tell from the Unesco homepage that this is the case and it had me worried about the process. Unfortunately, from the Unesco website it's also very hard to tell what the actual modification entails, so it's hard to judge if this add anything to the existing site or not. Having been both at the Archeological Site and the Historic Center I felt the boundaries were rather clear:
- The archeological site has a fence, on the other side a big road and then a modern neighborhood.
- The Historic Center is situated on a peninsula. At the end of the peninsula the colonial buildings end and concrete buildings are everywhere.
In any case, I don't think you need to search for this tentative site.
- Full Name
- Archaeological Site and Historic Centre of Panamá City
- Urban landscape - Colonial
- By ID
2015 Added to Tentative List
The site has 2 locations
68 Community Members have visited.