Sites that were modelled after or imitated other WHS.
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Aachen Cathedral: Palatine Chapel, after the Basilica of San Vitale in Ravenna
- Ancient Kyoto: Sand Pile of Ginkakuji garden is made to be Fujisan
- Aranjuez: Petit Trianon at Versailles (artificial streams and ponds) (AB ev)
- Armenian Monastic Ensembles: The White Church was added at the start of the 19th century, and seems to have been rebuilt to imitate the patriarchial church of Echmiatsin (present-day Armenia) - AB ev
- Avignon: The Bridge was modelled after the Pont du Gard (and others) (source: Bridge of Avignon audioguide)
- Ayutthaya: Many Ayutthaya's pagodas are modelled after Anuradhapura's pagoda of Sri Lanka
- Bahá’i Holy Places: International Archives Building within the Shrine of the Bab, Haifa. Modelled after the Parthenon ("Designed to the proportions of the Parthenon" - Nom File). See Link
- Blenheim Palace: The 1723 Triumphal arch was modelled by Hawkesmoor after the "Arch of Titus" in Rome
- Budapest: Opera house modelled after the Viennese Opera
- Centennial Hall: After Pantheon in Rome & Hagia Sophia in Istanbul
- Cologne Cathedral: Cathedrals of Amiens and Chartres
- Convent of Christ in Tomar: "The church, like some other Templar churches throughout Europe, was modelled after the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem which was believed by the crusaders to be a remnant of the Temple of Solomon The Church of the Holy Sepulchre may also have served as model" (Wiki)
- Corvey: The exemplarily strictly defined complex of the abbey reminds strongly of the "plan of St Gallen", which is considered more as an ideal plan than a building plan for a large Benedictine monastery. (Nom file)
- Crespi d'Adda: Modelled after Saltaire "Crespi D?Adda in Italy .. consciously uses Saltaire as a model even down to the derivation of its name. Founded in 1875 by Cristoforo Crespi, as with Saltaire, it combines its founder?s name with the river on which it sits. It too displays an architectural unity - the numerous community buildings were built to a common Italian Gothic motif between 1893 and 1925." (Nom File for Saltaire)
- Drottningholm: After Versailles
- Edinburgh: The Acropolis on the Carlton Hill was modelled after the Parthenon in Athens
- Fertö/Neusiedlersee: Fertöd Esterhazy Palace was built after the model of Versailles
- Gardens and Castle at Kromeríz: Kromeriz garden, after Versailles gardens
- Genoa: Galleria degli Specchi (Hall of Mirrors) in the Palazzo Reale was inspired by ... the Galerie des Glaces in Versailles Link
- Golestan Palace: Edifice of the Sun (Shams ol Emareh): This building's two towers are in fact small versions of the Safavid viewing palace of Ālī Qāpū in Isfahan. (Wiki) (Meidan Emam WHS)
- Gwynedd Castles: Designed after the Walls of Constantinople: "Caernarfon's appearance differs from that of other Edwardian castles through the use of banded coloured stone in the walls was a representation of the Walls of Constantinople." (wiki)
- Hiraizumi: Hiraizumi's Muryōkō-in Ato is modelled after Kyoto's Byodoin
- Humayun's Tomb: After Gur-e Amir Mausoleum in Samarkand
- Hué: Emperor Gia Long of Vietnam built a palace and fortress that was intended to be a smaller copy of the Chinese Forbidden City in the 1800s.
- Karlskrona: Trinity Church was modelled after Rome's Pantheon Link
- Kew Gardens: Chokushi-Mon (Gateway of the Imperial Messenger) is a four-fifths actual size replica of the Karamon of Nishi Hongan-ji in Kyoto.
- Kremlin and Red Square: Kremlin Assumption Cathedral was modelled after Vladimir's Assumption Cathedral
- Liverpool: St George's Hall - after: Baths of Caracalla
- Longobards in Italy: Torre Angioina of the San Michele Sanctuary is modelled after the towers of Castel del Monte.
- Mantua and Sabbioneta: Facade of the Basilica di Sant'Andrea is based on the Arch of Titus in Rome
- Medina of Tétouan: Granada (the aristocratic residences)
- Monastery of Horezu: After Mount Athos
- Monticello: The Rotunda was modelled after the Pantheon in Rome.
- Mount Taishan: Dai Miao is modelled after the Imperial Palace. Since the time of the Han Dynasty (206 BC - 220 AD), its design has been a replica of the imperial palace, which makes it one out of three extant structures in China with the features of an imperial palace (the other two are the Forbidden City and the Confucius Temple in Qufu).
- Mountain Resort, Chengde: Contains a full size copy of the Potala Palace
- Mtskheta: A small copy of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre was built in the grounds of Svetiskhoveli Cathedral between the end of the 13th and the beginning the 14th centuries to mark it as the second most sacred place in the world (after the church of Jerusalem), thanks to Christ?s robe.
- Museumsinsel (Museum Island): Alte Museum: its Rotunda is modelled after the Pantheon (Rome)
- Nancy: Fountain at Place d'Alliance was modelled after the one by Bernini at Piazza Navona in Rome, Arc de Triomphe was modelled after the one for Septimus Severus in Rome
- National History Park: After Versailles
- Pergamon: They remodeled the Acropolis of Pergamon after the Acropolis in Athens (wiki)
- Potsdam: Sanssouci ('Baroque ornamental garden, modelled on the parterre at Versailles')
- Qutb Minar: Minaret of Jam
- Rabat: Hassan Mosque, "drawing its inspiration from the mosques of Damascus and Cordoba" (AB ev) / The tower of the Koutoubia mosque in Marrakech served as a model for the Giralda and its sister, the Hassan Tower in Rabat (wiki)
- Residence of Bukovinian and Dalmatian Metropolitans: The Residence complex is said to have been modelled on the layout of the Holy City, Jerusalem in a schematic but symbolic way (AB ev)
- Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France: Church of Neuvy-Saint-Sepulcre is "modelled upon" the Church of the Holy Sepulcre in Jerusalem
- Royal Palace at Caserta: Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe (influenced or echoed, AB ev), Versailles
- Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans: Entrance is through a massive Doric portico, inspired by the temples at Paestum (wiki)
- Saltaire: New Mill: modelled on the campanile of the church of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Friari in Venice
- Santo Domingo: Its university was modelled after the one in Alcala de Henares in Spain (nomination file Alcala de Henares)
- Schönbrunn: After Versailles
- Segovia: Iglesia de la Vera Cruz based on the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem
- Seville: Giralda - modelled after the Koutoubia Mosque minaret
- Skogskyrkogarden: Via Sepulchra in Pompei
- Split: Republic Square was modelled after Venice's San Marco Square.
- St. Petersburg: Peterhof "Russian Versailles"
- Taj Mahal: Taj Mahal is modelled after Humayun's Tomb
- Temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae: Part of it is modelled after the temple of Apollo at Delphi.
- Tower of Hercules: The sculpture park has a monument to the victims of the Civil War, modelled after Stonehenge
- Vilnius: All Souls Orthodox Cathedral was modelled after the Corpus Christi Church at Nesvizh
- Westminster: Westminster Abbey after Chartres Cathedral
- Würzburg Residence: After Versailles
Notice: Undefined offset: 1156 in /usr/home/elsslots/test/src/model/factory/TagSiteFactory.php on line 133
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/home/elsslots/test/src/model/factory/TagSiteFactory.php on line 133
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Modelled after?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source