Reduced from broader TWHS
WHS that were originally nominated to cover a broader area or more locations, but were reduced to the current area during the process before AB evaluation.
For reductions during/after AB evaluation, see this connection: Part of Cultural nomination rejected.
The connection belongs to World Heritage Process connections.
- Acropolis: TWHS originally included hellenistic, Roman and Neoclassical monuments of Athens.
- Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque: Originally included also Town, Convent, Aqueduct and Water Tank of Tepeapulco and Archaeological Site of Xihuingo
- Arab-Norman Palermo: Used to include botanic garden (Historic centre of Palermo, botanic garden and Monreale complex (1996)).
- Assisi: TWHS originally included the work of Fra Angelico in Cortona.
- Australian Fossil Mammal Sites: Originally a third fossil site, Murgon, was part of this serial nomination. It was rated of a lesser quality than the other two, and omitted from the definitive nomination.
- Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe: TWHS Gardens and palaces in and around Kassel (1999-2013) also included Friedrichplatz in Kassel and Schloss Wilhelmsthal in Calden
- Choirokoitia: TWHS originally included Tenta and Agios Dimitrios at Kalavassos.
- Costiera Amalfitana: From Bay of Naples with Capri, Ischia and Procida
- Dolomites: TWHS originally included further sections of the Alps including the Western Alps.
- Early Christian Necropolis of Pécs: TWHS originally included later monuments, mainly art nouveau.
- Ennedi Massif: The property has been reduced during the process twice, the last time excluding the northern part (due to an oil exploration concession?) which could be a future extension. Link
- Fraser Island: The original nomination included Cooloola, a similar sandy site on the mainland. Inclusion of that part was rejected because of 'land use problems'. It still is on Australia's Tentative List as 'Great Sandy Area'.
- Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain: The TWHS also consisted of 2 other sacred locations, Sacred Binder Mountain & Baldan Bereeven Monastery, which were deleted from the nomination before ICOMOS ev
- Heritage of Mercury: TWHS originally included the Camino Real and San Luis Potosi, which were separately inscribed.
- Hidden Christian Sites in the Nagasaki Region: Earlier proposal was for 26 locations
- Hiraizumi: After an deferral in 2008, the number of designated locations shrunk from 9 to 6 (and finally to 5 inscribed).
- Holy Trinity Column: TWHS originally included the entire town centre
- Luther Memorials: Originally, the entire “Altstadt” (historic center) of Wittenberg was on the tentative list, and only four specific buildings related to Luther have been included in the world heritage site of the Luther memorials
- Malpelo: TWHS originally included Gorgona island.
- Mount Carmel Caves: TWHS originally included Shaar HaGolan and Ovadia.
- Mount Hamiguitan: TWHS originally included Mount Apo.
- Nan Madol: Lelu was originally included
- Naumburg Cathedral: Originally included also the landscapes along the rivers Saale and Unstrut, but these were deleted in the final nomination that got inscribed
- Oaxaca and Monte Alban: The City of Oaxaca, the archaeological site of Monte Alban and the site of Cuilapan
- Pimachiowin Aki: some components were removed due to lack of support from local communities (the Ontario locations were removed from the nomination which is now restricted to locations in Manitoba)
- Pyrénées - Mont Perdu: Only partially includes former TWHS Parc National d'Ordesa - Viñamala
- Qhapaq Ñan: Nomination was for 291 locations, 'only' 273 were inscribed
- Ravenna: From 'Ravenna and Pomposa'
- Rjukan / Notodden: Used to include Odda/Tyssedal Link
- São Francisco Square: TWHS was originally a serial nomination of the Franciscan convents of North-East Brasil. After a deferral in 2008 the TWHS was reduced to Sao Cristovao alone.
- Silk Roads: Only a part of the Kyrgyz section of the transnational nomination was inscribed. The inscribed as well as uninscribed sections still appear as TWHS, probably as an extension.
- The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier: Originally four further locations in France (Maison Cook, CitÃ© de refuge de l`ArmÃ©e du salut, Pavillon suisse Ã la CitÃ© Universitaire, Maisons Jaoul)and one in Switzerland (Maison Jeanneret-Perret) were proposed.
- The trulli of Alberobello: Valley of Itria (1982)
- Thessalonika: TWHS originally included archaeic and classical monuments of Thessaloniki.
- Tusi Sites: Used to include a 4th location: Rongmei Tusi Site: N 29°56'16.4" , E 110°04'27.5" Link
- Valparaiso: Historic Quarter of the Seaport City of Vaparaíso
- Villa d'Este: TWHS originally included Villa Gregoriana as well.
- Vineyard Landscape of Piedmont: Originally included 9 locations, which were removed before the final AB evaluation
- Volubilis: TWHS originally included Moulay Idriss Zerhoun which is now a separate TWHS.
- Wooden Churches of Southern Malopolska: TWHS comprised 9 wooden churches, the ones at Szalowa, Orawka and Lachowice were left out
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Reduced from broader TWHS?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source