Sites that include distinctive stretches of sand dunes.
The connection belongs to Ecology connections.
- Air and Téneré: The "live dunes" of the Ténéré are an example of erosion under way the landscape is rapidly modified on a geological time scale by the displacement and deposition of sand (AB ev)
- Ancient ksours: Chinguetti "is seriously threatened by the encroaching desert; high sand dunes mark the western boundary and several houses have been abandoned to the encroaching sand." (wiki)
- Banc d'Arguin: Coastal dunes
- Curonian Spit: The Curonian Spit is an outstanding example of a landscape of sand dunes that is under constant threat from natural forces (AB ev)
- Danube Delta: Sacalin Island is composed of alluvial deposits and sand dunes stabilised by tamarix. (UNEP-WCMC)
- Donana National Park: fixed and mobile dune fields (AB ev)
- Dorset and East Devon Coast: Orcombe Point - Ancient stratified sand dunes Link
- El Pinacate: Gran Altar Desert: North America's largest field of active sand dunes and only active Erg dunes. (AB ev)
- Fraser Island: Complex coastal dune formations are still evolving. The array of dune lakes is exceptional (AB ev)
- Glacier parks: sand dunes
- Ibiza: Salinas de Ibiza y Formentera
- Jeju: Yongcheondonggul Lava Tube "On the surface of the tube and around its vicinity, seasonal northwesterly winds have blown towards the inland, depositing sand dunes ranging from one to seven meters in height.- Nomination File
- Lakes of Ounianga: The second group of lakes (Ounianga Serir) comprises 14 lakes separated by recently formed sand dunes. (AB ev)
- Lena Pillars: Tukulans
- Lut Desert
- Namib Sand Sea: encompassing a diverse array of large, shifting dunes
- Ningaloo Coast: dune fields, coastal dunes (UNEP-WCMC)
- Peninsula Valdes: sand dunes (UNEP-WCMC)
- Saryarka: a belt of hummocky fixed sand dunes (UNEP-WCMC)
- The Sundarbans: easily eroded sands collect at the river mouths forming banks which are blown into dunes (UNEP-WCMC)
- Uvs Nuur Basin: desert of fixed and shifting dunes (UNEP-WCMC)
- Wadden Sea: Coastal dunes
- Wadi Al-Hitan: sand dunes (UNEP-WCMC)
- Wadi Rum: Numerous mention of "dunes" within the site both in the Nom file and the AB eval.
- Xinjiang Tianshan: Dune forms in the Taklamakan desert (AB ev)
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park: Coastal dunes
- ǂKhomani Cultural Landscape
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Dunes?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source