The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Ahwar of Southern Iraq: Uruk
- Al Zubarah: sea canal
- Amsterdam Canal Ring
- Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque
- Ayutthaya: Ayutthaya Historic Zone has many canals and waterways
- Bali Subak system: for water management
- Bamberg: The inscribed centre includes some remains of the "Ludwig Canal" including "Lock 100" and quays/old cranes alongside the street "Am Kanal". The Ludwig Canal was built between 1836/46 as the first attempt to link the Main and Danube. See Link
- Banska Stiavnica: Network of canals connecting the water reservoirs
- Beemster Polder
- Blaenavon Industrial Landscape: Brecknock and Abergavenny canal
- Canal du Midi
- City of Bath: Kennet and Avon Canal
- Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape: Tavistock canal
- Defence Line of Amsterdam: "... canals nave been built to drain the land" (AB ev)
- Derwent Valley Mills
- Ferrara: Canale San Nicolo-Medelana
- Fontainebleau: Henry IV pierced the wooded park with a 1200m canal (wiki)
- Fort and Shalamar Gardens
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire: Antonine Wall: when a new section of the Union Canal was built in 2000 a Tunnel was built under the wall to avoid damaging it.
- Grand Canal: Includes 10 main sections of canals
- Ironbridge Gorge: Shropshire Canal
- Las Medulas: Roman canals
- Liverpool: Leeds and Liverpool Canal (via Stanley Dock)
- Mexico City and Xochimilco: Xochimilco
- Mount Athos: Xerxes Canal (now only remains) Link
- Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal
- Provins: "Some of the canals have been covered, but most still remain as in the Middle Ages."
- Rideau Canal
- Saltaire: Leeds and Liverpool canal
- Santa Ana de los Rios de Cuenca: Especially important in the low sector is the presence of a great canal 350 meters long, with systems of baths and pools for collecting water (nom file - Pumapongo)
- Sian Ka'an: Recently, a 24 km Mayan artificial canal was discovered (Unesco website)
- Solovetsky Islands: Made by monks between the 16th and the 20th centuries, the canals connect over 60 lakes on Bolshoi Solovetsky Island. Link
- Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District: "Speicherstadt, the “city of warehouses,” includes....... a connecting network of canals and bridges" (AB)
- St. Petersburg: Kronstadt - The Peter and Catherine Canals, Ligovsky Canal
- Stralsund and Wismar: The "Grube" in Wismar is "the last artificial mediaeval waterway to be preserved in an old city in Northern Germany" (Nom File)
- Studley Royal Park: The River Skell was straightened out into a canal
- The Four Lifts: Canal du Centre
- Venice and its Lagoon
- Vienna: Danube canal
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Canals?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source