Built or owned by British
Sites outside the current borders of Great Britain that were built or owned by British persons.
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Aapravasi Ghat
- Antigua Naval Dockyard
- Australian Convict Sites
- Bridgetown: "As a colonial city, Historic Bridgetown is representative of 17th century English-influenced urban development in the Anglophone Caribbean. Bridgetown was built upon a street layout resembling early English medieval or market towns with its narrow serpentine street and alley configuration, and is unlike the colonial towns established in the Caribbean by the Spanish (in the 16th century) or the Dutch and French (in the 17th & 18th centuries) who utilized a grid pattern. (AB Eval)
- Brimstone Hill Fortress
- Cape Floral Region: Kirstenbosch Botanical garden
- Caves of Maresha and Bet Guvrin: The main villa in the village was confiscated by the British army during WWII and used as military headquarters
- Central Highlands: At Horton Plains "the little cottage Farr Inn dating back to the colonial era has been transformed into an Information Centre and Museum but its colonial architecture has been preserved intact and painted in its original green colour to blend with the natural surroundings... Farr Inn was the hunting lodge of englishmen who hunted sambur, elk, deer and leopard in the whistling patanas for sport.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
- Corfu: 1815-64 United States of the Ionian Islands (Protectorate). Numerous buildings -e.g Palace of St Michael and St Georgu
- Costiera Amalfitana: Villa Cimbrone in Ravello was owned and modified by Lord Grimthorpe.
- Forts and Castles Gold Coast: e.g Cape Coast castle was rebuilt by the British after capture from the Danes in 1664. in 1844 it became the seat of government for the British colony of the Gold Coast
- Fray Bentos: Originally founded and built by the German "Liebig Extract of Meat Company" in 1863. It was acquired by the UK Vestey Group in 1924 when a new plant was built extending the product range from meat extract and corned beef to frozen meat. The factory was renamed "Frigorifico Anglo del Uruguay" also known as "El Anglo". "Small brick houses with thick walls running along the river's edge in Fray Bentos form the "Barrio Anglo," a city-within-a-city where meatpacking workers lived that featured a hospital, a school, a social club and a football squad" (Wiki)
- Humberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works: The Humberstone works, originally called "La Palma", was run by the English company Gibbs + Co who acquired it after the War of the Pacific in which Chile obtained the nitrate area from Peru. Peru had just nationalised all the mines issuing certificates. During the war businessmen such as John Thomas North ("El Rey del Saltire") acquired these at a massive discount betting that the Chilean government (with whom they had contacts) would honour them - which they did. North then sold off the certificates on the London market to other entrepreneurs such as Gibbs.
- Incense Route of the Negev: Mamshit was used as a British police station during the British Mandate.
- Independence Hall: Built 1753 as Pennsylvania Colony State House
- Kasbah of Algiers: The church of the Holy Trinity
- Kilimanjaro National Park: Kibo hut built 1932 by the British 'Mountain Club of East Africa'
- Kunta Kinteh Island
- Lamu Old Town: Buildings along sea front built during British rule
- Levuka: represent 19th century British colonisation (AB ev)
- Lushan National Park: Meilu Villa built by Lord Lannoze in 1903 Link
- Matobo Hills: Rhodes Memorial etc
- Melaka and George Town: Georgetown contains numerous Victorian buildings
- Monticello: First occupied in 1770 when Jefferson was still British!
- Mountain Railways of India
- Naples: Villa Rosebery, "owned by the glamorous British Prime Minister Archibald Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery (Liberal, 1894-1895)" (wiki)
- Old City of Acre: The Citadel was used as a prison (and place of execution) by the British during the Mandate.
- Old City of Jerusalem: Christ Church at Jaffa Gate
- Old Town Lunenburg
- Old Town of Galle: The British didn't leave the Dutch area untouched during their period of rule. In particular a. "There are two entries into the fort, the Main Gate, built by the British in 1873 which pierces the main ramparts between the Sun and Moon Bastions, and the more venerable Old Gate, further to the east on Baladaksha Maw (or Customs Road). The latter is distinguished by the British coat of arms carved into its outer stone lintel" b. "The northern part of the fort is dominated by the British-built Clock Tower" c. "Further south along Church Street stands the Catholic All Saints Church, built by the British in 1868 and consecrated in 1871"
- Paramaribo: Fort Zeelandia was founded in 1651 by the British, and named Fort Willoughby
- Phoenix Islands: Were part of the British "Gilbert + Ellis Islands. The atoll of "Orona was leased in 1916 to a Captain Allen of the "Samoan Shipping and Trading Company", and became a copra plantation. Allen's lease was bought out by the British government in 1938." (Wiki)
- Québec: Much of the Citadel is of British construction "The Citadelle of Québec is the most important fortification built in Canada under British rules. It was .. built under the supervision of Lieutenant-colonel Elias Walker Durnford. The construction of the outer walls began in 1820 and it took 30 years to finish its construction." and (Wiki) "The existing star-shaped fortifications were built by the United Kingdom between 1820 and 1831 under the direction of Lieutenant Colonel Elias Walker Durnford of the Royal Engineers, and incorporated a section of the French "enceinte" of 1745. Their purpose was to secure the strategic heights of Cape Diamond against the Americans"
- Red Fort: contains many British military buildings
- Rideau Canal
- Robben Island: Lighthouse etc
- Royal Exhibition Building
- Saint-Emilion: "When Eleanor of Aquitaine married Henry Plantagenet (later Henry II of England), the town of Saint-Emilion, by then fortified, became part of the English kingdom, along with all Guyenne. King John granted the town full liberties in 1199." (AB ev)
- Singapore Botanic Gardens : colonial government
- Sites of Japan's Meiji Industrial Revolution: Glover House and Garden
- St. George, Bermuda
- Stone Town of Zanzibar: Livingstone House, Anglican Cathedral, National Museum and High Court etc
- Valletta: Various buildings/defense installations
- Valparaiso: Cerro Alegre and Cerro Concepción, a single neighbourhood planned and developed to a large extent by German and English immigrants, with squares, viewing points, promenades, alleyways, stairways and the top stations of some of Valparaíso’s distinctive funicular elevators. (Unesco)
- Victoria Falls: Victoria Falls bridge - The railway was built and owned by the British South Africa Company. The bridge was designed and constructed in UK before being shipped out via Beira and opened in 1905 Link
- White City of Tel-Aviv: Built to British Town plan
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built or owned by British?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source