Pastoralism or pastoral farming is the branch of agriculture concerned with the raising of livestock. It is animal husbandry: the care, tending and use of animals such as camels, goats, cattle, yaks, llamas, and sheep. It may have a mobile aspect, moving the herds in search of fresh pasture and water. Pastoralism is found in many variations throughout the world. (wiki)
OUV of the WHS must have a direct link with pastoral farming.
The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Causses and Cévennes: agro-pastoral Cultural Landscape, cattle and sheep
- Ennedi Massif: In the present day, local communities still practice nomadic pastoralism and a traditional way of life (AB ev)
- Hortobágy: a grassy plain with cattle, sheep, oxen, horses, tended by herdsmen
- Kondoa: a unique form of agro-pastoralist paintings (AB ev)
- Lake District: a landscape shaped by natural forces and subsequently by pastoralism (AB ev)
- Laponian Area: one of the last and among the best preserved of those few [Pastoral transhumance landscapes of this kind] that survive (AB ev)
- Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley: the persistence of pastoralism (AB ev)
- Orkhon Valley: The grassland is still grazed by Mongolian nomadic pastoralists (AB ev)
- Petroglyphs of the Mongolian Altai: the high valleys used for summer pastures (AB ev)
- Pyrénées - Mont Perdu: The site is also a pastoral landscape reflecting an agricultural way of life that was once widespread in the upland regions of Europe but now survives only in this part of the Pyrénées (AB ev)
- Qinghai Hoh Xil: This area supports the traditional nomadic lifestyles of Tibetan pastoralists who have coexisted with its conservation for a long time (AB ev)
- Richtersveld: This site sustains the semi-nomadic pastoral livelihood of the Nama people (AB ev)
- St. Kilda: subsistence economy based on the products of birds, agriculture and sheep farming; reflecting age-old traditions (AB ev)
- Tamgaly: testimonies to the husbandry, social organization and rituals of pastoral peoples (AB ev)
- Thimlich Ohinga: traditional settlement forms of agro-pastoral communities (AB ev)
- Uvs Nuur Basin: has been used for nomadic pastoralism for thousands of years (crit X)
- Val d'Orcia: an agrarian and pastoral landscape reflecting innovative land-management systems (AB ev)
- Vredefort Dome: In the Vredefort Hills, extensive grazing practices dominate, with scattered cultivated lands in the valleys and along the Vaal River (nom file)
- Wadi Rum: The site illustrates the evolution of pastoral, agricultural and urban activity in the region (AB ev)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Pastoralism?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source