Freestanding Bell Tower
A freestanding tower or building for bell hanging. The bell is rung to signify the time, to call people to worship, for special events such as weddings and funerals, or historically to sound a civil defense or fire alarm. Strictly excluding the bell tower attached to the church building.
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Aleppo: Armenian Cathedral
- Asmara: Enda Mariam Cathedral Link
- Baroque Churches: two of the baroque churches in the Philippines have free standing bellfries -- Paoay Church and Sta. Maria Church. This is one of the characteristics of the "earthquake baroque"
- Bordeaux: Tour Pey-Berland, campanile of Bordeaux Cathedral
- Church of the Ascension, Kolomenskoye: St. George Bell Tower
- Corfu: Annunziata bell tower, the remains of what used to be a catholic church
- Dubrovnik: The Clock Tower has a bell as well, with 2 little bronze guys to strik it Link
- Florence: Giotto Bell Tower
- Gammelstad: Nederluleå Church: The free-standing bell tower dates from 1851 and replaced an earlier, wooden bell tower
- Haghpat and Sanahin: Haghpat Link
- Hiraizumi: the bell towers of Chusonji and Motsuji Temples
- Horyu-ji Area: ancient bell tower with same building style as Nikko
- Jesuit Missions of the Chiquitos: In Concepcion, made out of wood
- Karlskrona: Amiralitetstorget Bell Tower
- Kiev: Bell tower of Kiev Pechersk Lavra
- Kizhi Pogost Link
- L'viv: Assumption Church
- Longobards in Italy: Campanille of the Sanctuary of Monte Sant'Angelo Link
- Mtskheta: Samtavro Bell Tower
- Mudejar Architecture of Aragon: La Seo Cathedral
- Nikko: Toshogu's Belfry
- Novodevichy Convent: octagonal bell tower Link
- Ohrid Region: Next to Sveti Kliment
- Piazza del Duomo (Pisa): The Leaning Tower is a campanile (freestanding bell tower)
- Portovenere, Cinque Terre, and the Islands: In Manarola (AB ev)
- Regensburg: Campanile Obermünster Link
- Route of Santiago de Compostela: Santo Domingo de la Calzada Cathedral, with its external bell tower.
- Salzburg: Fort Hohensalzburg
- Seokguram Grotto and Bulguksa Temple: two stories bell tower at the entrance
- Siena: Torre del Mangia
- Stari Ras and Sopocani: At St. Peters Church
- Studenica Monastery: On the western side of the monastery complex there is a bell tower, erected in the 13th century (wiki)
- Tauric Chersonese: Fog Bell Link
- Trinity Sergius Lavra: Bell tower of Sergiev Posad
- Venice and its Lagoon: St Mark Campanile
- Vilnius: cathedral tower
- Wooden Tserkvas of the Carpathian Region: Several
- Yaroslavl: The belfry tower of the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Freestanding Bell Tower?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source