Attacks which are intended to create fear (terror), are perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a lone attack), and deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants.
a. occurring outside war situations
b. made indiscriminately on civilians. attacks on specific persons are dealt with under "assassinations"
c. In "Contemporary times" (20th century and later)
The connection belongs to Damaged connections.
- Ancient Thebes: Queen Hatshepsut's tomb - November 1997
- Anuradhapura: Maha Bodhi Shrine on May 14,1985
- Borobudur: Wiki: "On 21 January 1985, nine stupas were badly damaged by nine bombs."
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park: Rwandan rebels slaughtered eight foreign tourists after they were abducted from Bwindi NP (March 1999) Link
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus: November 2008
- Grand-Bassam: March 13, 2016: 18 deaths after terrorists attacked a beach resort in Grand-Bassam Link
- Historic Cairo: "On Thursday, 7 April 2005, a suicide bomber detonated an explosive device on Sharia al-Moski in Islamic Cairo, near the al-Hussein Mosque and Khan el-Khalili, a major souq popular with tourists and Egyptians alike. Three foreign tourists (two French and one American) were killed, and 11 Egyptians and seven other overseas visitors were injured." Followed by further (lesser) attacks. Link
- Istanbul: On 12 January 2016 a suicide attack in Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet Square district killed 11 people, all foreigners. Link
- Kandy: Temple of Sacred Tooth, Jan 1998 by bomb and fire
- Medina of Marrakesh: Djemaa el-Fna square, April 28 2011 Link
- Old City of Jerusalem: Several incidents
- Paris, Banks of the Seine: Attentat du RER B à Saint-Michel Link
- Red Fort: By militants of the Lashkar-e-Taiba on December 22 2000
- Shibam: March 15, 2009: a suicide bombing killed four South Korean tourists and wounded three others
- Tower of London: In 1974, there was a bomb explosion in the mortar room in the White Tower leaving one person dead and 41 injured. No one claimed responsibility for the blast, but the police investigated the possibility that the Irish Republican Army was behind it. Link
- Westminster: On 22 March 2017 a terrorist attack in London began on Westminster Bridge, and continued into Parliament Square and the grounds of the Palace of Westminster. 5 people were killed. Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Terrorist Attacks?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source