The historic town of Grand-Bassam was a colonial town and seaport. Built in the 19th century, it was the French colonial capital of Cote d'Ivoire.
Europeans and Africans lived here together, divided into separate quarters. It also had important commercial and administrative zones, in which historic buildings in a sober and functional colonial style have been preserved.
Map of Grand-Bassam
- ●● Cultural
Share your experiences!
Have you been to Grand-Bassam? Add your own review!
Full name: Historic Town of Grand-Bassam
Unesco ID: 1322
- Côte d'Ivoire
Criteria: 3 4
- 2012 - Advisory Body overruled Referral suggested by ICOMOS
- 2012 - Inscribed
- 2009 - Referred Include the N'zima village, and legal/operational/management issues
The site has 10 connections.
- Sea Ports: important in colonial times
Religion and Belief
- Cathedrals: Cathédrale Sacré Coeur
- Built in the 19th Century: late 19th and early 20th-century colonial town (AB ev)