The Sukur Cultural Landscape with its palace, terraced fields with ritual features and villages has survived unchanged for many centuries. It is located in the Northeastern part of Nigeria.
The designated area comprises:
- Hidi's Palace (ruined house complex of the chief)
- Paved walkways
- Domesticated landscape with extensive terraces (for agricultural use and spiritual significance)
- Domestic architecture in the villages (granite and dry-stone)
- Traditional cemeteries in the hills
- Iron-smelting furnaces
- (Ceramic) shrines
Map of SukurLoad map
Hon Williams Joshua ADHA YOLA
I visited this site during the 2004 world cultural day.It was so an interesting trip expecially when i was opportuned to see the palace which is not imaginable to the modern world.In view of my trip to sukur,my prayer is that UNESCO should intervain with great dextirity to see that cultural heritage at that site is maintained.
- Full Name
- Sukur Cultural Landscape
- Unesco ID
3 5 6
- Cultural Landscape - Associative
- By ID
In the News
The site has 1 locations
The site has 14 connections
WHS on Other Lists
World Heritage Process
0 Community Members have visited.