Natural sites filling gaps cited by IUCN
Natural WHS that have been entered after the 2003/2004 publication of the "Filling the Gaps" document, which points out underrepresented themes and areas.
Filling the Gaps
The connection belongs to World Heritage Process connections.
- Blue and John Crow Mountains: The BJCM has also been identified as a gap in representation of World Heritage sites: it belongs to a Centre of Plant Diversity and an Udvardy biogeographic province not yet represented on the List and as noted above it overlaps with one of 78 most irreplaceable protected areas in the world (AB ev)
- Cape Floral Region: Cape Floral habitat
- Dolomites: stratigraphy
- Gulf of California: Gulf of California ecoregion
- Ilulissat Icefjord: Polar systems (Arctic)
- Kenya Lake System: Rift Valley Lakes habitat
- Lakes of Ounianga: Sudd-Sahelian savanna and flooded grasslands ecoregion
- Lena Pillars: tundra
- Los Alerces National Park: rainforests of Southern Chile
- Mount Hamiguitan: tropical montane forests of Sumatra, Philippines and Sulawesi
- Namib Sand Sea: Namib and Kalahari deserts habitat
- Okavango Delta: habitats: flooded grasslands such as Okavango and the Sudd Swamps
- Putorana Plateau: tundra
- Rainforests of the Atsinanana: Madagascar moist forests ecoregion
- Rock Islands: Palau ecoregion
- Sanganeb: Red Sea corals
- Socotra Archipelago: Socotra ecoregion
- Swiss Tectonic Arena Sardona: tectonic sites
- Tajik National Park: tectonic sites
- Tropical Rainforest Sumatra: tropical montane forests of Sumatra, Philippines and Sulawesi
- Vredefort Dome: meteorite impact
- Wadden Sea: European saline wetlands
- Western Ghats: Western Ghats ecoregion
- Wrangel Island: Tundra
- Xinjiang Tianshan: cold winter desert - Taklamakan
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Natural sites filling gaps cited by IUCN?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source