Contains significant structures from the 20th Century
WHS that hold an important structure from the 20th century, while the main part of the WHS itself belongs to an earlier century
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Ancient Thebes: New Gourna: built by Hassan Fathy, one of the best-known (and to me only-known) Egyptian architects of the 20th century, and is considered a prime example of the fusion of Modern architecture with traditional building techniques Link
- Changdeokgung Palace Complex: "The last building to be added was the New Sonwonjon Shrine, which was constructed in 1921 to house the ancestral royal portraits. Originally sited beside the Injongjon (throne hall), it was moved during the Japanese occupation to a less important location in the north-east corner of the compound." - AB Evaluation
- Kew Gardens: Princess of Wales Conservatory (1987) Link
- Liverpool: Pier Head (Royal Liver Building, Cunard Building, Dock Office)
- Mount Wutai: Mount Wutai's Longquan Temple was rebuilt and totally redesigned to show the art of Republic of China 50 years ago
- Paris, Banks of the Seine: Palais de Chaillot
- Prague: Dancing house by Frank Gehry and Vlado Milunic (1992-1996) Link
- Rio de Janeiro: Christ the Redeemer (1931)
- Roskilde Cathedral: Burial Site of King Frederick IX and Queen Ingrid (1985) Link
- Royal Joseon Tombs: "Hongneung of Emperor Gojong" (1852-1919, Reigned 1863-1907) - Tomb 34 and "Yureung of Emperor Sunjong" (1874-1926, Reigned 1907-1910, Nom file states tomb constructed 1923) - Tomb 35
- San Cristobal de La Laguna: San Cristóbal also has some good 20th century architecture, such as the Palace of Rodriguez de Azero and the Leal Theatre, both fine examples of Eclecticism (AB ev)
- Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District: Chilehaus (1924)
- University of Coimbra: the 1940s development of 'University City' (AB ev)
- Vienna: Postsparkasse by Otto Wagner (1906), Loos House by Adolf Loos (1909), American Bar by Adolf Loos (1910), Haas House by Hans Hollein (1990) - all of which are architecturally significant buildings
- Völklingen Ironworks: Although commenced in the 19th century significant additional plants and technical innovation date to the 20th century. e.g "A sixth blast-furnace was built in 1903, and in 1911 the new charging platform was constructed, supplied by an electrically driven suspendedc onveyor system for coke and ore; this was the largest system of its kind when it was built. Völklingen was the first ironworks in the world to take dry gas purification technology beyond the experimental stage, installing the plant in 1911. The final major addition to the Volklingen complex was the large ore-sintering plant; after experimenting with ladle-type sintering, the company installed a large belt-type system in 1928-30." (AB eval)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Contains significant structures from the 20th Century?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source