Built or owned by Portuguese
Sites outside the current borders of Portugal that were built or owned by Portuguese persons.
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Banc d'Arguin: The island of Arguin was controlled by Portugal from 1445 - 1633. Link
- Brazilian Atlantic Islands: Fernando de Noronha - many forts within the inscribed Natural Reserve
- Churches and Convents of Goa: Built under Portuguese colonial rule
- Cidade Velha: Fort Real de S?o Filipe (1590)
- Colonia del Sacramento: fortifications
- Congonhas: commissioned by Portuguese adventurer, Feliciano Mendes in the 18th century (wiki)
- Fort Jesus
- Forts and Castles Gold Coast: Axim Santo Antonio, Elmina Fort Sao Jorge
- Goias: Gold was discovered in the gravel of a tributary of the Araguaia River by the bandeirante Bartolomeu Bueno da Silva (the Anhanguera) in 1682. The settlement he founded there, called Santa Anna, became the colonial town of Goias Velho (wiki)
- Island of Gorée: Built under Portuguese colonial rule, The shipping of slaves from Goree lasted from 1536 when the Portuguese launched the slave trade to the time the French halted it 312 years later Link
- Island of Mozambique: Fortress of Sao Sebastiao
- Macao: Citadel of Sao Paulo do Monte, Guia Fortress
- Mazagan: El Jadida
- Mbanza Kongo: colonial period buildings
- Medina of Essaouira: The late 18th century Portuguese church
- Melaka and George Town: A Famosa
- Old Town of Galle: Parts of now mainly Dutch fortifications
- Olinda: The settlement of Olinda was founded in 1535 by Duarte Coelho Pereira, a nobleman, military leader, and colonial administrator in the Portuguese colony of Brazil (wiki)
- Ouro Preto: built on pioneering mining wealth under Portuguese colonial rule (AB ev)
- Qal'at al-Bahrain: Qal? At Al-Bahrain
- Rio de Janeiro: The Niteroi forts of Fortaleza de Sta Cruz, Forte Sao Joao, Pico Fort, Imbao Fort - "There is a group of Portuguese forts on Niteroi (AB)
- Ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Songo Mnara: Fort Santiago
- São Francisco Square
- Salvador de Bahia: Several including Santo Ant?nio da Barra, Santa Maria and S?o Diogo
- São Luis: The Historic Centre of Sao Luis is an outstanding example of a Portuguese colonial town; The Portuguese Jerónomo de Albuquerque drove them [the French] out in 1615 (AB ev)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built or owned by Portuguese?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source