Places of Execution
a. Locations of state-organised judicial/quasi-judicial executions
b. Operated over a period or on a number of occasions such as to achieve historical "notoriety"
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Auschwitz Birkenau: Gas Chambers and "Execution yard"
- Bukhara: The Minaret of the Kalon mosque. "For here, on market days, particularly outrageous criminals were led up the 105 steps of this 'Tower of Death', whereupon their crimes would be enumerated to the transfixed crowd, the omniscient justice of the emir praised to the heavens and the accursed criminal tied in a sack and thrown off the top to hurtle to certain oblivion below. The gruesome spectacle was current well into the second half of the 19th century"
- Chan Chan: Chan Chan Massacre (1932): hundreds of protesters were lined up and shot in Chan Chan, after the failure of a revolt against Sanchez Cerro, the dictator who was trying to wipe out the APRA (American Popular Revolutionary Alliance, a socialist and reformist party) and its supporters . Link
- Coiba National Park: "During the years that Panama was under the Dictatorships of Omar Torrijos and Manuel Noriega, the prison on Coiba was a feared place with a reputation for brutal conditions, extreme tortures, executions and political murder. Nobody knows exactly how many people were killed in the prison during this period, but sources claim that the number could be close to three hundred. " (wiki)
- Fortifications of Vauban: Arras Citadel: 1941-44 to execute French resistance personnel and others Link
- Himeji-jo: Himeji-jo's Harakiri Mura, a place often used for ritual suicide/execution
- Mehmed Paša Sokolović Bridge: The bridge was the site of numerous executions during the Visegrad Massacre in 1992
- Old Havana: The "Laurel Ditch" below the walls of the El Morro Fortress was the place of execution by Spain Link
- Palmyra: IS 'executes' 20 in Palmyra Roman theatre (May 2015) Link
- Paris, Banks of the Seine: Place de la Concorde was the location of the Parisian guillotine during the "Terror". Then called the Place de la Revoultion" - "the guillotine stood in the corner near the H?tel Crillon where the statue of Brest can be found today" (Wiki).
- Querétaro: Emperor Maximilian was executed in 1867
- Rohtas Fort: "Immediately to west of the Haveli stands the execution Burj(tower), primarily dealing with rebellious princea nd other royal traitors. The execution tower has a raised platform with a hole at its center through which the unfortunate victims were thrown. The execution used to be done in the presence of the ruler living in the White Palace." Link
- Sukur: "The traditional prison and the former execution site, neither of which is still in use, are partly ruined and in need of conservation and possible reconstruction." (Nomination file and AB)
- Thingvellir: "Drekkingarhylur ? Drowning pool - Guilty women were put in sacks and drowned in Drekkingarhylur while men were beheaded or hanged..... This obnoxious practice remained in effect until 1838." Link
- Tower of London: Common criminals were executed on Tower Hill outside the inscribed area but "famous" people were executed inside on Tower Green Link
- Zamosc: The Rotunda (10 minute south of old city but included in the inscription together with the road to it) was used by the Nazis for executions during WWII. Now the "Martyrdom Museum" Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Places of Execution?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source