WHS that lie within Natura 2000 sites.
Natura 2000 is a network of nature protection areas in the territory of the European Union. It is made up of Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) and Special Protection Areas (SPAs) designated respectively under the Habitats Directive and Birds Directive. The network includes both terrestrial and marine sites (Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)). (wiki)
Actually, all European Natural and Mixed WHS are also Natura 2000 sites, except for:
- Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region
- Durmitor National Park
- Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch
- West Norwegian Fjords – Geirangerfjord and Nærøyfjord
(because they're in non-EU countries)
- Messel Pit Fossil Site
The connection belongs to WHS on Other Lists connections.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Natura 2000?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source