Indo-Islamic architecture encompasses a wide range of styles from various backgrounds that helped shape the architecture of the Indian subcontinent from the advent of Islam in the Indian subcontinent around the 7th century. It has left influences on modern Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi architecture. Both secular and religious buildings are influenced by Indo-Islamic architecture which exhibit Indian, Persian, Arab, and Turkish themes. (wiki) Characteristics include traditional Indian decoration and tomb architecture (see this article for more.
The connection belongs to Architecture connections.
- Agra Fort
- Fatehpur Sikri
- Fort and Shalamar Gardens
- Hill Forts of Rajasthan: Amber - Built in 1592 by a Rajput commander of the army of the Mughal emperor Akbar the fort/palace contains a mixture of Indian and Mughal architectural styles. Link
- Humayun's Tomb
- Makli, Thatta
- Qutb Minar
- Red Fort
- Rohtas Fort
- Taj Mahal
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Indo-Islamic architecture?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source