Eunuchs were mostly servants or slaves who, because of their function, had been castrated, usually in order to make them reliable servants of a royal court where physical access to the ruler could wield great influence.
This connection includes courts where eunuchs were employed.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Agra Fort
- Ashur Link
- Changdeokgung Palace Complex
- Fatehpur Sikri
- Granada: Alhambra
- Historic Cairo: former center of eunuch trade (source: Eunuchs and Castrati: A Cultural History)
- Hué: Imperial Palace
- Imperial Palace: Beijing
- Imperial Tombs: Ming Imperial Tombs includes a tomb of an eunuch of the last Ming Emperor
- Istanbul: Topkapi Palace
- Mount Taishan: during imperial time eunuchs from the capital came here to perform Taoist services and pray for peace and longevity for the emperor, concubines, princes and princesses
- Mountain Resort, Chengde
- Old City of Jerusalem: Jerulsalem's Dome of the rock was guarded by black eunuchs (source: Eunuchs and Castrati: A Cultural History)
- Red Fort Link
- Summer Palace
- Thang Long
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Eunuchs?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source