Hotels in Historic Buildings
WHS containing a building of historic or architectural significance converted from its original use into a hotel. Building must be noteworthy enough for a visit on its own.
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Agadez: The Hotel de l'Aïr is a palace built in 1917 for Kaossen, the leader of the rebellion against the colonial power. It was later converted into a hotel. The hotel restaurant has remarkable ribbed vaults, supported by four large pillars. (AB ev)
- Brugge: Kempinski Duke's Palace Hotel is a former residence of the Dukes's of Burgundy Link
- Budapest: Hilton Budapest, in restored remains of a 13th-century Dominican cloister and monastery
- Cartagena: Sofitel Santa Clara, in a former convent: "a jewel of 17th century colonial architecture which is on UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites. Gabriel Garcia Marquez used this convent as the setting for one of his novels, 'Of Love and Other Demons'." (hotel website) Link
- Itchan Kala: Orient Star Khiva, in the Medersa Mohammed Rakhim Khan
- Matera: "Hotel Sassi" in Sasso Barisano, Hotel "Locanda di San Martino", Sextantio Le Grotte della Civita
- Oaxaca and Monte Alban: The 16th Century Santa Catalina Convent has been converted by the Camino Real Group Link
- Rammelsberg and Goslar: Novum Hotel Kaiserworth Link
- Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans: La Saline Royale : Located on the Royal Saltworks site, a total of 31 3-star hotel rooms is available Link
- Santiago de Compostela: Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos Link
- Sintra: Seteais Palace (wiki) Link
- The trulli of Alberobello: Trullidea, rooms in several trulli Link
- Upper Middle Rhine Valley: Koblenz Youth Hostel is located inside Ehrenbreitstein Fortress.
- Venice and its Lagoon: Gritti Palace - Situated on the Grand Canal it was built in 1525 as a residence of the Doge - now owned/run by Starwood hotels Link
- Vienna: Hotel Imperial was a city palace of Duke Philipp of WÃ¼rttemberg. Link
- White City of Tel-Aviv: Cinema Hotel Link
- Yuso and Suso Monasteries: Hotel Hosteria Del Monasterio De San Millan, 4* hotel in wing of Yuso Monastery Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Hotels in Historic Buildings?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source