A strait is a narrow, typically navigable waterway that connects two larger, navigable bodies of water.
The connection belongs to Geography connections.
- Gwynedd Castles: The Castles of Caernarfon and Beaumaris guard the western and eastern ends respectively of the Menai Strait which separates Anglesey from the mainland of Wales
- High Coast / Kvarken Archipelago: Kvarken Link
- Istanbul: Bosphorus Link
- Itsukushima Shrine: Miyajima Island, belonging to Hiroshima prefecture, separated from the mainland by the 500m wide Onoseto strait (see link) Link
- Komodo National Park: Komodo Faces Selat Sape, Selat Lintah and Selat Molo or Sape Strait
- Kronborg Castle: Lies at the Öresund
- Kulangsu: Lujiang Strait
- Melaka and George Town: Strait of Malacca Link
- Qalhat: Located at the Gulf of Oman, "a strait (and not an actual gulf) that connects the Arabian Sea with the Strait of Hormuz" (wiki)
- Red Bay Basque Whaling Station: on the shore of the Strait of Belle Isle (which separates the Labrador Peninsula from the island of Newfoundland)
- Shiretoko: Lies at Nemuro Strait
- Southern Öland: Kalmarsund
- Troy: Dardanelles (The ancient city of Troy was located near the western entrance of the strait, and the strait's Asiatic shore was the focus of the Trojan War) Link
- Ujung Kulon National Park: Sunda Strait Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Straits?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source