The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Alejandro de Humboldt National Park: During the XVIII and XIX Centuries, some peripheral places were used as shelter sites ("palenques") by runaway slaves. (EOEarth)
- Amsterdam Canal Ring: Secret church, Anne Frank House
- Auschwitz Birkenau: Held secret from the Allies
- Blue and John Crow Mountains: Nanny Town Cultural Heritage Route .. secret trails, settlements and natural resources
- Brú na Bóinne: Numerous underground passages were probably used as shelter during battles.
- Cilento and Vallo di Diano: Castelcivita Caves were probably used as a hiding place for Spartacus' rebels army.
- Great Smoky Mountains: Some Cherokees hid in the park area escaping a forced deportation by American authorities.
- Greater Blue Mountains: Eagle's Reach Cave - "The location of Eagles Reach is being withheld to avoid it being damaged."
- Ha Long Bay: The Hospital Cave on Cat Ba was used as a secret hospital during the Vietnam War
- Le Morne: Hiding places for escaped slaves
- Machu Picchu: Its location was held secret by the Incas
- Qadisha Valley: Early Christian sects fleeing persecution found refuge in the Kadisha. Among these groups were the Jacobites (Syrian Orthodox), Melchites (Greek Orthodox), Nestorians, Armenians, and even Ethiopians. The Maronites, however, are the dominant Christian group in the valley.
- Rapa Nui: Several cave dwellings were found on the island. They were hidden by rock walls and were probably used as shelters during war times.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Secret Locations?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source