Giant Buddha statues
WHS that hold unusual large Buddha Statues (over 10 meters in height or width).
The connection belongs to Constructions connections.
- Ancient Nara: Todai-ji Daibutsu, Height: 14.98 m, "the world's largest bronze statue of the Buddha Vairocana" Link
- Ayutthaya: Mongkol Bophit Buddha at 12.45 Meters high excluding pedestra Link
- Bamiyan Valley: The two most prominent statues were the giant standing Buddhas Vairocana and Sakyamuni, identified by the different mudras performed, measuring 55 and 37 metres (wiki)
- Dazu Rock Carvings: Baoding giant Reclining Buddha which is 31m long and 5m high.
- Golden Temple of Dambulla: Reclining Buddha, a 14-meter statue of the Buddha, hewn out of the rock. (wiki)
- Longmen Grottoes: The highly impressive image of Vairocana Buddha is sculpted on the back wall of the Fengxian. The image is 17.14m high and has 2m long ears (wiki)
- Mogao Caves: Cave 96 contains the Northern Giant Buddha 35.6m high Link
- Mount Emei, including Leshan Giant Buddha: Leshan's Dafo: At 71 metres (233 feet) tall, the statue depicts a seated Maitreya Buddha with his hands resting on his knees (wiki)
- Mount Wutai: Mount Wutai's Jinge Temple has 17.7 metre high statue of Bodhisattva Guanyin
- Mountain Resort, Chengde: The Puning Temple houses the world's tallest wooden sculpture of the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara (22.28-meter-high and 110-ton) (wiki)
- Polonnaruva: Gal Vihara, with a Reclining Buddha which is 46 feet (14-meters) in length Link
- Silk Roads: Bingling Temple - the giant Maitreya Buddha that stands more than 27 meters, or almost 100 feet, tall (wiki)
- Sukhothai: Phra Achana Sitting Buddha at Wat Si Chum is 15 metre tall and Phra Attharot Standing Buddha at Wat Mahathat is 12 metre tall Link
- Yungang Grottoes: One of 16.8 meters and one 13.5 meters in height
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Giant Buddha statues?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source