World's Highest Topographically isolated summits
4. World's Highest Topographically isolated summits
WHS containing one of the World's 40 most isolated summits. (Isolation in kms/Ht in m)
"The topographic isolation of a summit is the Great Circle distance to the nearest point of equal elevation. Topographic isolation represents a radius of dominance in which the summit is the highest point." (Wiki). See here.
Isolation Map - link.
|Fujisan||28th, 2076.66 km|
|Hawaii Volcanoes||Mauna Kea 8th most isolated (3947/4205)|
|Heard and McDonald Islands||Mawson Peak, Heard Island 30th most isolated (2046/2745)|
|Huascaran National Park||25th most isolated (2196/6746)|
|Kilimanjaro National Park||4th most isolated (5509/5895)|
|Kinabalu Park||Mt Kinabalu 19th most isolated (2513/4095)|
|Lorentz National Park||Puncak Jaya 5th most isolated (5261/4884)|
|Pitons of Reunion||Piton de Neiges 14th most isolated (2766/3071)|
|Sagarmatha National Park||Mt Everest By definition the most isolated (Infinity/8848)|
|Te Wahipounamu||Mt Cook 10th most isolated (3139/37540)|
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to World's Highest Topographically isolated summits?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source