Sites with underwater remains in the core zone.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Al Zubarah
- Bikini Atoll: The Atomic Tests resulted in the sinking of a large number of "test ships". Their underwater remains are referred to in the Nomination File and are part of the site's OUV, They have been the subject of underwater archaeological studies Link
- Chichen-Itza: Cenotes Link
- Giant's Causeway: The Site contains a Historic Wreck Site safeguarded under the Protection of Wrecks Act 1973, the Girona. This wreck represents a significant period in European history. On 26th October 1588, the Girona, a galleas of the Spanish Armada, sank of Lacada Point, some three months after sailing from La Corunna. Only 1300 of the 5,00 0 men survived the sinking of the Girona, which is remembered in the name of the bay close to where she sank, Port Na Spaniagh. Link
- Hedeby and Danevirke: Location 1553-019 "Offshore Work"
- Ibiza: The site has more than ten underwater archaeological sites of the Late Bronze Age which have revealed the extent of early trade in the western Mediterranean (UNEP-WCMC)
- Nan Madol
- Old City of Acre: In addition to archaeological findings on land, archaeologists have discovered remnants from various periods under the sea, such as gravel quarry, sea wall, towers and sunken vessels together with their cargoes. (nom file) Link
- Prehistoric Pile Dwellings: Almost all of the dwellings are completely or largely underwater
- Red Bay Basque Whaling Station
- Tyre: to include the underwater archaeological remains located to the south of the city (boundary change 2013)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Underwater Archaeology?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source