WHS containing Salt Flats ("a flat expanse of salt left by the evaporation of a body of salt water").
The connection belongs to Ecology connections.
- Ibiza: Salinas de Ibiza y Formentera
- Lut Desert: Various salt features are found over about 4% of the nominated area, especially in the playa of Shurgaz-e Hamun (AB ev)
- Namib Sand Sea: Sossusvlei
- Peninsula Valdes: "An interesting basin (42 meters below sea level) contains two salt flats, "Salinas Chica", 12 km2 in area, and "Salinas Grande", 35 km2".
- Sangha Trinational: Dzanga Bai is a sandy salt lick that measures 250 m (820 ft) by 500 m (wiki)
- Shark Bay: The inland terrestrial landscape of Shark Bay is predominantly one of low rolling hills interspersed with birridas (inland saltpans that are at sea-level)
- Uvs Nuur Basin: Torkhiologiin-Gol delta consists of desert and salt flats (UNEP-WCMC)
- Wood Buffalo National Park: Grosbeak Lake Salt Flats "Wood Buffalo also includes salt flats unique in Canada. This strange spectacle is created as spring water brings disolved salt to the surface, covering large areas and creating pans and mounds up to 2 meters high"
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Salt Flats?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source