Major City Centres
WHS which consist of an entire and "living" mixed zone (i.e not just selected structures) of significant size (200 ha or greater) in the centre of a "Major" City (defined as having a "city" population - excluding surrounding "urban" and "metropolitan" areas - though definitions of this vary by country - of over 1 million people.) Size of inscribed areas are taken where available from UNESCO or approximated where missing.
(City Population/Size of Inscribed Area)
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Budapest: 1.7 million/473ha
- Historic Cairo: 6.8 million /523ha
- Istanbul: 12,5 milion 678 ha
- Lima: 7.6 million/200ha
- Mexico City and Xochimilco: 8.8 million/910ha
- Paris, Banks of the Seine: 2.2 million/365ha
- Prague: 1.2 million/866ha
- Puebla: 1.4million/597ha
- Quito: 1.4million/320ha
- Rome: 2.7 million/1485ha
- St. Petersburg: 4.6 million/No inscribed area size given in UNESCO but is much bigger than 200ha
- Vienna: 1.6 million/371ha
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Major City Centres?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source