Built in the 2nd century
WHS whose OUV derives entirely or significantly from 2nd century constructions.
The connection belongs to Timeline connections.
- Bosra: For its 2nd century Roman theatre
- Dengfeng: The nominated buildings were initially constructed over a span of eighteen centuries between 118 AD and the 20th century. The Tishi, Shaoshi and Qimu Gates have survived since Han times
- Djémila: "Djémila is an outstanding example of ... (an) architectural ensemble illustrating a significant stage in Roman history of North Africa, from the 2nd to the 6th centuries". (It)is an " ancient Roman colony founded during the reign of Nerva (96 - 98 A.D.)".Around the beginning of the 3rd century, it expanded beyond its ramparts with the creation of the Septimius Severus Temple, the Arch of Caracalla, the market and the civil basilica." (AB)
- Dougga/Thugga: "Dougga is the best preserved Roman small town in North Africa" - the Roman theatre dates from 168 or 169 CE, and is among the earliest of the major remaining Roman structures that mostly date from the 3rd century
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire: Hadrian's Wall - Construction commenced in AD122 Antonine Wall from AD 142 onwards. The inscribed sections of the German Limes were also 2nd century - this period was the apogee of the territorial expansion of the Roman Empire
- Sabratha: Absorbed by Rome in 46AD and "enjoyed its greatest prosperity in the 2nd and 3rd centuries. This was the period which saw the construction of grandiose monuments" (AB)
- Timgad: founded around 100
- Tyre: Roman city: triumphal arch and hippodrome
- Villa Adriana (Tivoli): The Imperial residence was built over it in two stages, 118-25 and 125-38. (AB ev)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 2nd century?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source