Built in the 1st century BC
WHS whose OUV derives entirely or significantly from 1st century BC constructions.
The connection belongs to Timeline connections.
- Arles: It has some impressive Roman monuments, of which the earliest - the arena, the Roman theatre and the cryptoporticus (subterranean galleries) - date back to the 1st century B.C. (AB)
- Dacian Fortresses: built between the 1st centuries B.C. and A.D
- Hatra: The present-day remains date back to between the 1st century BC and the 2nd century AD. (AB ev)
- Koguryo Kingdom: "The Koguryo kingdom starts as a regional power in the year 37BC, when its first capital city, Wunu Mountain City was built. 30 years later the capital moved to Guonei city." - AB Evaluation
- Lyon: As a "major Roman foundation" (43 BC)
- Masada: built 37-34 BC
- Mount Wuyi: "It (Mount Wuyi) contains a series of exceptional archaeological sites, including the Han City established in the 1st century BC and a number of temples and study centres associated with the birth of Neo-Confucianism in the 11th century AD. The archaeological site of the Han city of Chengcun was discovered in 1958, this is a walled city. The circuit of walls survives intact; the layout of the town is in accordance with the principle of urban design characteristic of southern China at this period." - Nomination File
- Mérida: Emerita was founded by Augustus in 25 BC, Guadiana bridge 25 BC, amphitheatre 8 BC
- Nemrut Dag: Nemrut Dag, where the most impressive of all the tomb sites is found, that of Antiochos I of Commagene (69-34 BC). (AB ev)
- Old City of Jerusalem: the Temple Mount was built in its current structure by Herode in 19 BC
- Orange: Theatre built in 35 BC.
- Petra: Treasury dated to the 1st Century BC
- Rock Paintings of the Sierra de San Francisco
- Takht-i-Bahi: founded in the early 1st Century BC
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 1st century BC?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source