Undergoing Restoration or Repair
WHS or significant parts thereof currently undergoing restoration or repair that affect the visitor experience. Estimated end date should be given.
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Acropolis: Parthenon and Propylaea: "The Project began in 1975 and is now nearing completion" (wiki Jan 2016)
- Al Zubarah: Fort is partially covered ("almost finished" - Jan 2016)
- Ancient Kyoto: Kiyomizudera Temple has restoration projects under way that are expected to be completed in 2019. Currently, the Okunoin Hall, Amida Hall, and Shaka Hall are being renovated. Link
- Ancient Nara: The East Pagoda at Yakushiji Temple is currently being renovated and is covered by scaffolding; the restoration should be completed in 2019. Link
- Chartres Cathedral: Interior under scaffolding (July 2015)
- Echmiatsin and Zvartnots: Etchmiadzin Cathedral: The latest renovation of the cathedral began in 2012, with a focus on strengthening and restoring the dome and the roof. In July 2014 it was still covered with scaffoldings.
- Fortifications of Vauban: The tower in Camaret-sur-Mer is closed for renovation (full year 2016). Link
- Hal Saflieni Hypogeum: As of September 2016, the site is closed for the installation of a new micro-climate-controller. (wiki) Link
- Istanbul: Chora church (only the Narthices are open)
- Kandy: Queen's Bath House in Kandy (located in the lake close to the Temple of the Tooth) was covered with scaffoldings in November 2015.
- Kew Gardens: Palm House is closed for extensive, 5-year restoration Link
- Loire Valley: The Château d'Azay-le-Rideau is currently enclosed by scaffolding during restoration that started in 2015 and is expected to be completed in 2018. There is an interactive website in English, French, and Spanish detailing the work that is being done. Link
- Luther Memorials: Lutherstadt Wittenberg: extensive restoration at the Schloss (Dec 2015)
- Margravial Opera House: Interior is undergoing extensive restoration since Oct 2012 (will last at least until Spring 2018 Link
- Maritime Greenwich: Painted Hall (2016-2019) Link
- Monasteries of Daphni, Hosios Loukas and Nea Moni of Chios: Monastery of Daphni (completion date unknown, ongoing for many years) Link
- Monticello: The Rotunda at the University of Virginia is currently covered by scaffolding while it is being restored; this restoration should be completed between April and July 2016. Link
- Naples: Palazzo Reale
- Nikko: The main hall at Rinnoji remains enclosed by scaffolding, but remains open through its restoration, which is expected to be complete in March 2019. Also, the prominent Yomeimon Gate at the Toshugo Shrine is also undergoing restoration and covered by scaffolding; this restoration is also expected to be complete in March 2019. Link
- Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai: The interior of the nave at Tournai Cathedral is undergoing restoration and is covered in scaffolding, until at least 2017.
- Novodevichy Convent: A well-documented fire broke out during restoration of the convent's bell tower in 2015. Because of the fire, repairs are now expected to be completed in 2019. Link
- Old Town of Galle: Clock Tower (near the main entrance to the walled city) is covered with scaffoldings (Nov 2015) - seems like some minor restoration
- Plantin-Moretus Museum: Partly closed now for refurbishment, will be fully closed May-Sept 2016 and reopen on Sept 30, 2016 Link
- Polonnaruva: Thuparama Temple (part of Sacred Quadrangle) - scaffoldings, seems like maintaining the complete structure of the building, no info on how long it will last (Nov 2015)
- Regensburg: the Stone Bridge is under restoration until 2017 Link
- Reims: parts of the western facade under scaffolding (May 2015)
- Santiago de Compostela: Pórtico da Gloria is completely covered (March 2016) - seems to be already going on for years
- Tombs of Buganda Kings: The repair after the 2010 fire of the main thatched structure, that houses the tombs of the 4 former kings, is expected to be completed by the end of 2016. Link
- Trier: Imperial Roman Baths (Jan 2016 - under scaffolding)
- Venice and its Lagoon: St. Mark's Basilica is partially covered by scaffolding. Completion date unknown. Rialto bridge has been under repair since April 2015. Link
- Westminster: Palace of Westminster - future restoration (that may take up to 6 years) Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Undergoing Restoration or Repair?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source