Caves which were significant to a Christian Saint. Identify the cave and the Saint.
The connection belongs to Religion and Belief connections.
- Assisi: St Francis - At the heart of the Eremo della Carceri is the cave which St Francis used as a retreat
- Island of Patmos: Cave of the Apocalypse where St John "the Theologian" received the "Book of Revelation" Link
- Kiev: Pechersk Lavra: St Anthony of Kiev - "Anthony returned to Kiev, and founded several monasteries .... These .... were not as austere as Anthony was used to from his time on Mount Athos. He instead chose to live in a small four-yard cave which had been dug by the presbyter Hilarion". This cave developed into the "Monastery of the Caves" (Pechera = "Caves")
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Saints' Caves?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source