Recorded natural discoveries
Natural WHS that were not previously known and then 'discovered', although local populations may have known about them.
- discovered before 1970 (the later ones are in a separate connection, "recently discovered")
- name of discoverer and year must be given
- the discovery must relate to the WHS itself, not to a single property or smaller zone within the area
|Canaima National Park||Angel Falls by Jimmie Angel, 1933|
|Carlsbad Caverns||James Larkin White, 1898|
|Uluru||On 19 July 1873 William Gosse reached Uluru and gave it the name Ayers Rock.|
|Victoria Falls||David Livingstone, 1855|
|Yellowstone||First visit by a non-indigenous person was in 1807 (John Colter).|
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Recorded natural discoveries?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source