Mentioned by Pliny the Elder
WHS that feature in the encyclopedia of Pliny the Elder (Gaius Plinius Secundus (AD 23 - August 25, AD 79): Naturalis Historia
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Cyrene: Chapter 6: Libya Mareotis; "it is 525 miles by land from Cyrene to Alexandria"
- Las Medulas: During his stay in Hispania he became familiar with the agriculture and especially the gold mines of the north and west of the country. His descriptions of the various methods of mining appear to be eye-witness judging by the discussion of gold mining methods in his Natural History. He might have visited the mine excavated at Las Medulas. (wiki)
- Meroe: Chapter 10, River Nile: "When making the circuit of Meroe ..." (he thought it was an island) Link
- Site of Carthage: Chapter 6: Great Carthage Link
- Teide National Park: The oldest known mention of Mt. Teide is from the 1st Century A.D., by the Roman naturalist Pliny the Elder: this terse description is of the island of Ninguaria (Tenerife) centres on Mt. Teide, although he does not give it a specific toponym: "From here one can see Ninguaria, covered with clouds, who was given this name for its perpetual snow" (nom file)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Mentioned by Pliny the Elder?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source