Goryeo was a Korean kingdom established in 918 by King Taejo.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Haeinsa Temple: Criterion (vi): The Janggyeong Panjeon and its unique collection of 13th century Tripitaka Koreana woodblocks, outstanding for their artistry and excellent execution of engraving techniques, occupy an exceptional position in the history of Buddhism as the most complete and accurate corpus of Buddhist doctrinal texts in the world.
- Kaesong: Criterion (iii): The Historic Monuments and Sites in Kaesong are exceptional testimony to the unified Koryo civilisation as Buddhism gave way to neo-Confucianism in East Asia.
- Sansa, Buddhist Mountain Monasteries: "Despite their origins in the Silla period, much of the architecture of the nominated components represents developments in the later Goryeo and Joseon periods." – ICOMOS
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Goryeo ?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source