Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS)
WHS set in Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS). These are "Worldwide, specific agricultural systems and landscapes (which) have been created, shaped and maintained by generations of farmers and herders based on diverse natural resources, using locally adapted management practices"
GIAHS is a scheme initiated by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) and commenced in 2002. See http://www.fao.org/nr/giahs/en/
The programme is intended ultimately to encompass 100 to 150 Globally Important Agriculture Heritage Systems worldwide. Those identified to date have been placed into 3 "Categories":
- "Pilot" - in receipt of funding (6)
- "Candidate" - assessed as meeting the required criteria but not yet in receipt of funding (9)
- "Other" - Identified but not yet assessed (19).
The connection belongs to WHS on Other Lists connections.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS)?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source