Theodor Wiegand (1864 - 1936) - "One of the most famous German Archaeologists" (Wiki). See
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Acropolis: In 1894 he worked under Wilhelm Dörpfeld at the excavation of the Athenian Acropolis. (Wiki). Published "Die archaische Poros-Architektur der Akropolis zu Athen", German Academy of Sciences in Berlin, 1904
- Baalbek: "He also finished the excavations at Baalbek in Lebanon and published the results." (Wiki) "Baalbek : Ergebnisse der Ausgrabungen und Untersuchungen in den Jahren" 1898 bis 1905, (as editor)
- Museumsinsel (Museum Island): Director of Antiquities on Berlin (1912-30) at the time of building of the Pergamon Museum
- Pergamon: "He discovered, in 1927, the arsenals of the castle at the acropolis and excavated the large sanctuary of Asklepios outside the city." (Wiki). Published "Bericht über die Ausgrabungen in Pergamon" 1927, Berlin
- Pythagoreion and Heraion of Samos: The Heraion "the full extent of the third temple's foundations were not revealed until Theodor Wiegand's campaign of 1910-14" (Wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Theodor Wiegand?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source