Sculpted by Canova
Antonio Canova (1 November 1757 - 13 October 1822) was an Italian sculptor from the Republic of Venice who became famous for his marble sculptures that delicately rendered nude flesh.
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- St. Petersburg: "many of his finest works made their way to the Hermitage Museum" (wiki)
- Vatican City: tombs of popes Clement XIV (1783-87) and Clement XIII (1787-92) Link
- Venice and its Lagoon: Canova's own heart was interred in a marble pyramid he designed as a mausoleum for the painter Titian in the church of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari in Venice, now a monument to the sculptor. Link
- Vienna: Cenotaph to Maria Christina of Austria. at the Augustine church
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Sculpted by Canova?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source