Residences of Roman Emperors
Palaces/Villas etc built/owned by Roman Emperors. Specify emperor and approx dates.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Gamzigrad-Romuliana: Palace of Galerius - "conceived and built by one of the Tetrarchs, Emperor Galerius..(He) started construction in 298 AD.... to mark the place of his birth. (Wiki) Link
- Istanbul: Great Palace of Constantinople "When Constantine I moved the Roman capital to Constantinople in 330, he planned out a palace for himself and his heirs. The palace was located between the Hippodrome and Hagia Sophia." Wiki - see Link
- Pompei: Villa Poppaea (a.k.a "Villa A" Torre Annunziata) - "Evidence suggests that it was owned by the Emperor Nero, and it is believed to have been used by his second wife, Poppaea Sabina, as her main residence when she was not in Rome".... "the villa shows signs of remodeling, probably to repair damage from the earthquake in 62 CE. The oldest part of the house centers round the atrium and dates from the middle of 1st century BCE (Wiki) Link
- Rome: Numerous on the "Palatine Hill". "From the start of the Empire (27 BC) Augustus built his palace there and the hill gradually became the exclusive domain of emperors; the ruins of the palaces of at least Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD), Tiberius (14 – 37 AD) and Domitian (81 – 96 AD) can still be seen......The great fire of 64 AD destroyed Nero's palace, but he replaced it by 69 AD with the even larger Domus Aurea over which was built Domitian's Palace" Link
- Split: Diocletian's Palace - built for his retirement in 305AD Link
- Villa Adriana (Tivoli): "constructed at Tibur (modern-day Tivoli) as a retreat from Rome for Roman Emperor Hadrian during the second and third decades of the 2nd century AD. Hadrian is said to have disliked the palace on the Palatine Hill in Rome, leading to the construction of the retreat." (Wiki) Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Residences of Roman Emperors?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source