Museums of Atheism
WHS containing buildings which were once "Museums of Atheism"
|Itchan Kala||"Originally designed as a place of Islamic instruction in 1905, the Matpana Baya madrassah was transformed into a museum of atheism under the Soviets before being changed again after independence into a museum of religion"|
|L'viv||The Dominican Church: After World War II the complex was occupied by the Soviets, used as warehouse and in the 1970s changed into a museum of religion and atheism. With the collapse of the Soviet Union the church was given to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church and now serves as a parish church. The monastery, however, has not yet been returned and still serves as a museum (renamed The Lviv Museum of History of Religion). (Wiki)|
|St. Petersburg||Kazan Cathedral "After the Russian Revolution of 1917 the authorities closed the cathedral (January 1932). In November 1932 it reopened as the pro-Marxist "Museum of the History of Religion and Atheism". Services resumed in 1992, and four years later the cathedral was returned to the Russian Orthodox Church." (Wiki)|
|Vilnius||In 1919 the church of St. Casimir was returned to the Catholics, but was damaged again during the Second World War, closed down and in 1963 converted into a Museum of Atheism. The church was reconsecrated in 1991" (Wiki)|
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Museums of Atheism?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source