Congresses and Conferences
Sites of Congresses, Conferences or Conventions. The meeting must have been historically significant. The buildings/location must be known and within the WHS. Legislative Parliaments are excluded (see separate Connection). Where a Congress/Conference led to the signing of a Treaty at the same location it is "connected" with the more "famous" title.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Independence Hall: "2nd Continental Congress" (1775-83). To manage the war effort (War of Independence)
- Kremlin and Red Square: 4 conferences were held in Moscow during WWII :- Sep 41 (Stalin, Harriman, Beaverbook), Aug 42 (Stalin, Churchill, Harriman), Oct 43 (Molotov, Eden, Hull ) and Oct 44 (Stalin, Churchill, Eden, Molotov) Link
- Panamá: Salon Bolivar - "Panama Congress" (1826) - organised by Bolivar in an attempt to promote pan-American unity
- Paris, Banks of the Seine: The Paris Peace Conference (1919) to end WWI (The various treaties - Versailles, Saint-Germain, Trianon etc were signed elsewhere as per their titles) was held in the Salon de l'Horloge at the French Foreign Ministry in the Quai d'Orsay. Link
- Potsdam: Schloss Cecilienhof -"Potsdam Conference" (1945) - Stalin, Churchill/Atlee and Truman to discuss the post WWII order. Led to the Potsdam Agreement and Potsdam Declaration.
- Québec: "First Quebec Conference" (codenamed "QUADRANT") was a highly secret military conference held during WWII between the British, Canadian and US " held between Aug 17-24 1943at the Citadelle and at the Chateau Frontenac. The chief representatives were Churchill, Roosevelt and Mackenzie King. "Second Quebec Conference" - (codenamed "OCTAGON") was a high level military conference held at the Citadelle between Sept 12-16 1944. Participants as per the first conference
- Schönbrunn: The Congress of Vienna to decide the map of Europe after the Napoleonic Wars was held here.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Congresses and Conferences?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source