Alfonso de Albuquerque
Alfonso de Albuquerque (1453-1515): "A Portuguese fidalgo, or nobleman, a naval general officer whose military and administrative activities conquered and established the Portuguese colonial empire in the Indian ocean. Generally considered as a world conquest military genius by means of his successful strategy, he was created first "Duke of Goa" by king Manuel I of Portugal shortly before his death, being the first Portuguese duke not of the royal family" ...
The connection belongs to Individual People connections.
- Churches and Convents of Goa: Captured it twice from the Sultan of Bijapur. First in March 1510 but had to withdraw after 3 months. Recaptured it with Indian allies later in the year -massacred every Muslim man, woman and child. The "Church of Our Lady of the Rosary" was said to have been built in thanks for his victory!
- Melaka and George Town: Melaka, Aug 24 1511 after a 1 month battle
- Socotra Archipelago: Captured it (in a joint action with Tristao da Cunha) in 1507
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Alfonso de Albuquerque ?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source