The Oligocene is a geologic epoch of the Paleogene Period and extends from about 33.9 million to 23 million years before the present . .. [it] refers to the sparsity of additional modern mammalian species of fauna after a burst of evolution during the Eocene. (wiki)
The connection belongs to Timeline connections.
- Australian Fossil Mammal Sites: The older fossils occur at Riversleigh, which boasts an outstanding collection from the Oligocene to Miocene, some 10-30 million years ago. The more recent story then moves to Naracoorte, where one of the richest deposits of vertebrate fossils from the glacial periods of the mid-Pleistocene to the current day (from 530,000 years ago to the present) is conserved. (Nom file)
- Chaîne des Puys: the 30-km-long Limagne fault escarpment as the expression of continental break-up, subsidence and sedimentation which took place between 37 and 25 Ma (million years ago) (AB Eval)
- China Danxia: About 23 ma ago, movement of the Himalayan range, disturbed the land around Guandong, China creating much uplift and completely changing the topography of the area. (Wiki)
- Lake Baikal: It is also among the clearest of all lakes, and thought to be the world's oldest lake at 25 million years (wiki)
- Papahanaumokuakea: The Northwestern Hawaiian Islands were formed, approximately 7 to 30 million years ago, as shield volcanoes over the same volcanic hotspot that formed the Emperor Seamounts to the north and the Main Hawaiian Islands to the south.(Wiki)
- Simien National Park: This complex was formed by volcanic eruptions in the Teniary Oligocene-Miocene Age some 20-30 million years ago; ever since, it has been going through processes of uplifting and erosion Link
- Tajik National Park: TNP includes branches of the grandiose Central-Asian mountain ranges which are the result of the uplifting of the Pamirs which started 25 millions years ago and which is still ongoing. (nom file)
- Wadi Rum: Die Landschaft entstand vor ca. 30 Mio. Jahren. (Wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Oligocene?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source