WHS connected to the practice of diving for pearls.
The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Al Zubarah: The walled coastal town of Al Zubarah in the Gulf flourished as a pearling and trading centre in the late 18th century (Unesco website)
- Ruins of Kilwa Kisiwani and Songo Mnara: From the 13th to the 16th century, the merchants of Kilwa dealt in gold, silver, pearls, perfumes, Arabian crockery, Persian earthenware and Chinese porcelain; much of the trade in the Indian Ocean thus passed through their hands. (Brief description)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Pearling?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source