The connection belongs to Human Activity connections.
- Angkor: Angkor Wat is located on artificial island representing Mount Meru, hinduism center of universe which surrounded by ocean
- Bamberg: The Old Town Hall "island" was created first as a bridge with a gate tower and then later was extended to allow the building of the Town hall on either side. Link
- Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe: Isle of Roses
- Defence Line of Amsterdam: Pampus (former shallow area made into a "proper" island)
- Kotor: Our Lady of the Rocks
- Mexico City and Xochimilco: Xochmilco (still visible), Tenochtitlan (historical)
- Mount Qingcheng and Dujiangyan: Yuzui or Fish Mouth Dike, named for its conical head that is said to resemble the mouth of a fish, is the key part of Li Bing?s construction. It is an artificial dike that divides the water into inner and outer streams. The inner stream carries approximately 40%, rising to 60% during flood, of the river?s flow into the irrigation system whilst that outer stream drains away the rest, flushing out much of the silt and sediment." (Wiki)
- Nan Madol
- Saloum Delta: "The numerous shell mounds in the Saloum Delta are generally well preserved and they sometimes have imposing dimensions. They are direct testimony of sustainable and very ancient socio-economic practices. Over the centuries, they have led to the formation of numerous man-made islets" (AB eval)
- St. Petersburg: 540-003b12 Fort Alexander I -- and also Tolbukhin Island - "The lighthouse is situated on a small artificial island 3 miles west of the Kotlin island.". Link
- Venice and its Lagoon: Several of the smaller islands in the lagoon are artificial e.g Sacca Fisola There is also a development taking place for the cemetery island of San Michele to create a new island alongside it. Link
- Wadden Sea: Nigehörn, part of the Hamburg Wadden Sea National Park was constructed in 1989 Link
- West Lake: Within the main West Lake are three islands created from dredgings in the Tang and Song Dynasties (AB ev)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Artificial Islands?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source