Henderson Island is an uninhabited uplifted coral island in the south Pacific Ocean, known for its bird life and untouched phosphate reserves.
All four land bird species are endemic to the island (Henderson Crake, Henderson Fruit Dove, Henderson Lorikeet and Henderson Reed-warbler). There are also fifteen non-endemic seabirds. Other endemic species include nine plants (of the sixty-three species on island), four land snails (of sixteen species), and one butterfly (only species on island).
Map of Henderson Island
- ●● Natural
The Salmons US
Our Henderson Island visit is described on our
Share your experiences!
Have you been to Henderson Island? Add your own review!
Community Rating N/A. Based on 0 votes.
Full name: Henderson Island
Unesco ID: 487
Criteria: 7 10
- 1988 - Inscribed
The site has 21 connections. Show all
- Endemic Bird Species: Henderson Crake, Fruit Dove, Lorikeet, Warblber
- Turtles and tortoises: Green turtles occasionally nest on the east beach (UNEP-WCMC)
- Whales: humpback whale
- Significant Karst Features: An outstanding example of early phase of karstification with intact natural processes, (AB ev)
- Castaways/shipwrecked mariners: The crew of the whaleship Essex, "wandering the ocean in open boats after the Essex had sunk following a collision with a sperm whale, landed briefly on the island, staying from December 20 to December 27, 1820. Three of the crew stayed and survived until their subsequent rescue on April 9, 1821 while their companions sailed for South America". (Wiki)
- Early Pleistocene: Durch weitere vulkanische Aktivitäten, die vor 900.000 Jahren zum Entstehen der Insel Pitcairn geführt haben, erfolgte eine Verformung der Erdkruste derart, dass das Henderson-Atoll noch weiter über die Meeresoberfläche angehoben wurde. (Wiki)
- Named after individual people: British Capt. Henderson of the British East India Company ship Hercules, who re-discovered the island in 1819
- Isolated WHS: 1914 kms from Rapa Nui
- Takes more than 5 days to visit: The shortest cruise calling on this Island takes 25 days; it fortunately also stops at Easter Island (a 2nd WHS within 25 days) Link