World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

Nominations for 2010

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author elsslots
Admin
#46 | Posted: 9 Jul 2010 11:14 | Edited by: elsslots 
According to the Unesco website, the following 41 sites are up for discussion later this month. There are a couple of differences between this list and the one provided earlier.

Natural properties submitted for inscription to the World Heritage List:
1. Pirin National Park (extension, Bulgaria)
2. Danxia (China)
3. Pitons, cirques and remparts of Reunion Island (France)
4. Phoenix Islands Protected Area (Kiribati)
5. Dinosaur Ichnites of the Iberian Peninsula (Portugal / Spain) IUCN OK
6. Putorana Plateau (Russian Federation)
7. Monte San Giorgio (extension of "Monte San Giorgio", Switzerland, Italy)
8. Tajik National Park, Mountains of the Pamirs (Tajikistan)

Cultural properties submitted for inscription to the World Heritage List:
9. Australian Convict Sites (Australia)
10. City of Graz - Historic Centre and Schloss Eggenberg (extension of "City of Graz - Historic Centre") (Austria)
11. Augustowski Canal – a work of man and nature (Belarus / Poland)
12. Major Mining Sites of Wallonia (Belgium)
13. São Francisco Square in the Town of São Cristóvão (Brazil) [referred in 2008, can't even see it on Brazil's tentative list now]
14. Historic Monuments of Dengfeng in "The Centre of Heaven and Earth" (Originally "Historic monuments of Mount Songshan") (China)
15. Konso Cultural Landscape (Ethiopia)
16. Episcopal City of Albi (France)
17. Upper Harz Water Management System (extension of "Mines of Rammelsberg and Historic Town of Goslar") (Germany)
18. The Jantar Mantar, Jaipur (India) ICOMOS OK
19. Matheran Light Railway (extension of the "Mountain Railways of India") (India) ICOMOS deferred
20. Sheikh Safi al-din Khānegāh and Shrine Ensemble in Ardabil (Islamic Republic of Iran)
21. Tabriz Historic Bazaar Complex (Islamic Republic of Iran)
22. The Triple-arch Gate at Dan (Israel)
23. Fort Jesus, Mombasa (Kenya)
24. Bikini Atoll, nuclear tests site (Marshall Islands)
25. Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (Mexico)
26. Prehistoric Caves of Yagul and Mitla in the Central Valley of Oaxaca (Mexico)
27. Seventeenth-century canal ring area of Amsterdam inside the Singelgracht (Netherlands) ICOMOS OK
28. Røros Mining Town and the Circumference (extension of "Røros Mining Town") (Norway)
29. Historic Villages of Korea: Hahoe and Yangdong (Republic of Korea) ICOMOS additional info needed
30. Church of the Resurrection of Suceviţa Monastery (extension of the "Churches of Moldavia") (Romania)
31. At-Turaif District in ad-Dir'iyah (Saudi Arabia) ICOMOS "technical reservations"
32. Palaeolithic Rock Art Ensemble in Siega Verde (extension of "Prehistoric Rock Art Sites in the Côa Valley"), (Portugal, Spain)
33. The Mercury and Silver Binomial. Almadén and Idrija with San Luis Potosí (Spain / Mexico /Slovenia)
34. Sarazm (Tajikistan)
35. Kiev: Saint-Sophia Cathedral with Related Monastic Buildings, St. Cyril's and St. Andrew's Churches, Kiev Pechersk Lavra (extension of "Kiev: Saint-Sophia Cathedral and Related Monastic Buildings, Kiev Pechersk Lavra") (Ukraine)
36. Darwin's Landscape Laboratory (United Kingdom)
37. Ngorongoro Conservation Area (re-nomination under additional criteria) (United Republic of Tanzania)
38. Mount Vernon (United States of America)
39. Central Sector of the Imperial Citadel of Thang Long - Hanoi (Viet Nam)

Mixed properties submitted for inscription to the World Heritage List:
40. Central Highlands of Sri Lanka: its Cultural and Natural Heritage ( Sri Lanka) IUCN OK
41. Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument, Hawaii (United States of America)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 9 Jul 2010 13:29 | Edited by: winterkjm 
An interesting mix of sites. Only 1 site from South America. Mexico has 3? No sites from the Carribean. 8 extensions from Europe and also 3 trans-national nominations. 3 nominations in the Pacific. Asia is nominating the most "new sites" with 14. Only 6 natural sites, and 2 mixed ones. All the African nominations are on the central-east coast.

Some sites I think will likely be inscribed (Great additions to the WHS list)
France (La Reunion Island)
Netherlands (Canal Ring Area of Amsterdam)
China (Danxia)
South Korea (Historic Villages of Korea: Hahoe and Yangdong)
United States (Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument, Hawaii)
Marshall Islands (Bikini Atoll, nuclear tests site)
Kiribati (Phoenix Islands Protected Area)
Tajikstan (Tajik National Park)
Mexico (Camino Real de Tierra Adentro) *Shouldn't this be a trans-national site with the United States?
Russia (Putorana Plateau)

Cultural (24)
- 7 Extensions
Natural (6)
- 2 Extensions
Mixed (2)

*Europe (9)
United Kingdom 1
Netherlands 1
France 2 (la reunion located near Madagascar, Africa)
Belgium 1
Russia 1
- Trans-national
Belarus/Poland 1
Portugal/Spain 1
Slovenia/Spain 1
- 8 Extensions

*Asia (14)
China 2
South Korea 1
Sri Lanka 1
Tajikstan 2
Vietnam 1
Saudi Arabia 1
Israel 1
Iran 2
India 1
Kiribati 1
Marshall Islands 1
- 1 extension

*Americas (6)
United States 2
Mexico 2
Brazil 1
- Trans-national
Mexico 1 (with Spain/Slovenia)

*Africa (3)
Ethiopia 1
Kenya 1
Tanzania 1 (re-nomination to meet cultural criteria)

*Australia (1)

Author Assif
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 9 Jul 2010 17:00 
3 counrties, namely Kiribati, Marshall Islands and Tajikistan, don't have any sites on the world heritage list so far.
Many of the sites have been running for quite a while. The triple arch of Dan is competing for the third year in a row!

Author Durian
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 9 Jul 2010 23:29 | Edited by: Durian 
The change of name on Amsterdam's nomination make me happy, the name "Historic Centre of Amsterdam" really make misunderstanding, hope ICOMOS or WHC will not rename the site back to its original one.

I really surprised to see China's Dengfeng. After Songshan nomination accident, the Chinese come back again with new name! if WHC OK, we gonna see the famous Shaolin temple as a WHS, but also the Guanxing Tai observatory making this year we may have two great observatories, another one is Jantar Mantar, become WHS.

Author fr4nc1sc4
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 22:23 
my personal interest :-)

- Kiev - Ukraine
- Thang Long, Hanoi - Vietnam

*still regretting Indonesia's Bali has to deffer again*

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 19 Jul 2010 23:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Does anyone think Mt. Vernon will fail?

It seems to me it lacks the overall criteria, but the United States obviously had some confidence in its potential inscription? Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument in Hawaii seems like a no-brainer, but Mt. Vernon? After all of these years away from Unesco, might America just be able to get this one inscribed as a reconciliation measure? I know Mt. Vernon has been discussed alot, but it will be judged in little over a week. And I am curious how other countries will view this nomination when it is opened up for discussion within the World Heritage committee.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 20 Jul 2010 05:28 
winterkjm:
After all of these years away from Unesco, might America just be able to get this one inscribed as a reconciliation measure?

I was just thinking the same thing. Perhaps putting forward a slightly weaker but culturally significant site as the first atempt will lead to it being viewed more favourably.

It would be fairly interesting to see the reaction of certain parts of the US media if they decided to run with this story. I would think that Glenn Beck et al could get a fair bit of milage out of the 'unelected world government' not recoginising the democratic ideals of one of the US's founding fathers. But perhaps I just spend too much time entertaining myself reading right wing american websites.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 20 Jul 2010 12:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
The United States already has Independence Hall and Monticello. Both have a deep relation to the American founding fathers. Should a building related to George Washington also be recognized? The claim of its worthyness of inscription based on being a "well-preserved example of an evolved cultural landscape of the 18th-century American south, based on English models." Is this enough? Who has an opinion to the validity of this claim? Is there any current WHS that matches this description, (just omit the American south)? Is there not many WHS that have a British Colonial influence and were built in the 18th century? Mount Vernon is claimed to be unique in two other aspects its complete documentation from construction to now, and its association with President Washington.

On a side note, this year it seems possible that many of the WHS canidates that may fail are Western countries. This is somewhat of a turnaround from years past.

Mount Vernon - United States
Darwin's Landscape Laboratory - United Kingdom
Episcopal City of Albi - France
Major Mining Sites of Wallonia - Belgium

These 4 sites seem somewhat weak. Either in already being over-represented or their association with one person and potential lack of international signifigance.

Author Durian
Partaker
#54 | Posted: 20 Jul 2010 20:56 | Edited by: Durian 
For Mount Vernon issue, I totally agreed with Winterkjm, there are some weakness to inscribe Mount Vernon as a WHS, in such the time when the rumour of 1000 sites limitation is spreading around. Mount Vernon is really lack of uniqueness; however deeply important for American history. In my opinion, eventhough ICOMOS defer or refer the site, WHC may think another way to compromise, but if Papahānaumokuākea is incribed, then we may see the referral of Mount Vernon at least to save face of Americans which better than NO or Deferral.

However for Albi of France, I think it have a chance, there are no representative of Lanquedoc style which is quite unique in the region and these is quite a nice site compared to other rejected cultural sites of France in recent years, but thinking again of too much european cities in the list together with Regensburg example, ICOMOS may just refer, giving French a room for lobbying, but after read a french newspaper on good report of IUCN on Reunion nomination, Albi may have to wait?!

Also for Hanoi Thang Long, it would be great to inscribe the site in the year Vietnamese celebrates Hanoi's millennium. Notice that the change of name of nomination dossier to limit the site only to central sector of imperial citadel which is just recently discovered by archaeologists, really make me wonder the worthiness on this site to be inscribed, as currently the site is limited to the public and no well openly research to the public. I'm quite prefer the old version of nomination paper which is included many historic sites in Hanoi which clearly show its significant like the Temple of Literature. Anyway better to look the final result from Brazil

Author wingspan
Partaker
#55 | Posted: 17 Oct 2010 05:17 
I'm off to Hyde Park Barracks tomorrow - one of the Australian Convict Sites inscribed this year. I'm very excited!

Author Walter
Partaker
#56 | Posted: 26 Oct 2010 11:59 
Maps and nomination files are at last available on the official site.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 Nominations for 2010

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑