World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

WHS in the news

Page  Page 21 of 23:  « Previous  1  ...  20  21  22  23  Next »

Author Jurre
Partaker
#301 | Posted: 11 Apr 2022 17:01 

Author csarica
Partaker
#302 | Posted: 18 Apr 2022 20:25 
https://arkeofili.com/ayasofyanin-imparator-kapisi-tahrip-edildi/

Hagia Sophia Imperial Gate was damaged. Expected consequences of conversion to a mosque...

Author Jurre
Partaker
#303 | Posted: 20 Apr 2022 09:56 

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#304 | Posted: 20 Apr 2022 12:27 
Jurre:
Venice pushes ahead with €10 entry fee plan as tourists flock back

I understand where this is coming from, but can't say I look forward to it becoming a regular thing and has the potential to suck even more life out of the city just making it even more of a museum.

It also feels pretty unweildy to manage, even in a place like Venice where there are limited points of entry.

Does everyone on a train have to provide their booking details or get booted out at Mestre?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#305 | Posted: 20 Apr 2022 12:52 
Jurre:
Woman claims permanent rugby stand will 'threaten' Bath's UNESCO status

Ah that explains the makeshift nature of the stadium there, it did seem odd to me.

It seems there is an ongoing battle over the use of that land and two very entrenched sides to the debate. Though I will say that Bath Rugby have been playing there since the 1920's so their desire to build a permanent home isn't particularly frivolous.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#306 | Posted: 20 Apr 2022 13:27 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
Jurre:
Woman claims permanent rugby stand will 'threaten' Bath's UNESCO status
Ah that explains the makeshift nature of the stadium there, it did seem odd to me.
It seems there is an ongoing battle over the use of that land and two very entrenched sides to the debate. Though I will say that Bath Rugby have been playing there since the 1920's so their desire to build a permanent home isn't particularly frivolous.

This sort of thing and of course the Liverpool issue (in which a stadium figured also) is what gives WHS a "bad name"- in UK at least. It is becoming seen as just another tool to be used by pressure groups.

I note that York is considering whether to try to gain a place on UK's revised T List. See this. . And here the "official" notification by the local Council. I am already reading comments by locals that such inscription would condemn York to lack of future development a la Liverpool. I personally have no wish to see York (40 miles from home) trying - even though the Great East Window of the Cathedral justifies inscription on its own!!!

Author Jurre
Partaker
#307 | Posted: 20 Apr 2022 18:38 

Author vantcj1
Partaker
#308 | Posted: 9 May 2022 22:09 
Cocos Island National Park:

After an expansion of the protected area (from 2.034 km² to 54.844.17 km² , being now bigger than the emerged area of the country), Cocos Island National Park is declared as a "National Sanctuary for Sharks", now biologically connected to the Golfo Dulce Hammerhead Shark Sanctuary (Golfo Dulce is closely related to Corcovado NP), in the isthmus, as one of the last decrees of the last government.

https://www.larepublica.net/noticia/isla-del-coco-es-declarada-santuario-natural-de-tiburones

https://ticotimes.net/2022/04/25/costa-ricas-coco-island-national-park-declared-natural-shark-sanctuary

Author Jurre
Partaker
#309 | Posted: 12 May 2022 02:16 
Unesco-status Koloniën van Weldadigheid onder druk bij nieuwe gaswinning

WHS Colonies of Benevolence

The UNESCO World Heritage status of the Colonies of Benevolence in Frederiksoord and Wilhelminaoord is under pressure due to possible new gas extraction in the area.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#310 | Posted: 13 May 2022 02:01 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#311 | Posted: 13 May 2022 02:31 | Edited by: Jurre 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#312 | Posted: 13 May 2022 16:39 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#313 | Posted: 13 May 2022 16:51 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#314 | Posted: 13 May 2022 18:20 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#315 | Posted: 14 May 2022 06:04 

Page  Page 21 of 23:  « Previous  1  ...  20  21  22  23  Next » 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 WHS in the news

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑