World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

WHS in the news

Page  Page 17 of 17:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  15  16  17

Author Jurre
Partaker
#241 | Posted: 17 Sep 2021 17:42 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#242 | Posted: 17 Sep 2021 17:46 

Author dennisj
Partaker
#243 | Posted: 20 Sep 2021 17:24 
Lalibela: Ethiopia's Tigray rebels take Unesco world heritage town

I hadn't realized the violence had expanded beyond the Tigray region.
I'm very upset to learn of this. People who I made the acquaintance of during my visit are now refugees of this civil war's expansion.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#244 | Posted: 21 Sep 2021 17:46 
Candidature à l'Unesco : les experts bientôt sur le terrain

TWHS Aires volcaniques et forestières de la Martinique

Author mrayers
Partaker
#245 | Posted: 22 Sep 2021 08:38 
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/fraser-island-australia-kgari-butchulla-intl-hnk/index.html

Australia's Fraser Island officially restored to Aboriginal name K'Gari

The world's largest sand island, which is located off the coast of Queensland state about 250 km (155 miles) north of Brisbane, will now be officially known as K'Gari.

K'Gari means "paradise" in the local Butchulla language, and the Butchulla people have been the owners and guardians of this land since well before the days of European colonization and settlement.

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#246 | Posted: 22 Sep 2021 17:13 | Edited by: Astraftis 
dennisj:
Lalibela: Ethiopia's Tigray rebels take Unesco world heritage town

I'm very upset to learn of this. People who I made the acquaintance of during my visit are now refugees of this civil war's expansion.

This is truly appalling. I've also not been really following, but got an even stronger impression that Ethiopia is politically very frail. I'm not optimistic, for example with regard to the Oromo region...

mrayers:
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/fraser-island-australia-kgari-butchulla-intl-hnk/index.html

Australia's Fraser Island officially restored to Aboriginal name K'Gari

The world's largest sand island, which is located off the coast of Queensland state about 250 km (155 miles) north of Brisbane, will now be officially known as K'Gari.

K'Gari means "paradise" in the local Butchulla language, and the Butchulla people have been the owners and guardians of this land since well before the days of European colonization and settlement.

I have to say, from my distant point of view I cannot but plaud this decision. Although I would also be OK with a less drastic decision leaving a double official name. Now, the linguistic aesthete in me would just try to find an orthography that avoids that ugly mid-word apostrophe... I read from the Wiki that only 24 speakers are left, so this is a kind of posthumous acknowledgment!

Author jeanbon
Partaker
#247 | Posted: 22 Sep 2021 18:32 
dennisj:

It was one month ago, and it seems that the churches are safe and were not a target, this conflict seems further ethnic than a terrorist conflict like ISIS in Syria for example.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#248 | Posted: 22 Sep 2021 18:36 
Une fausse alerte incendie à la cathédrale d'Amiens

Luckily, a false fire alert in Amiens Cathedral.

WHS Amiens Cathedral

Author Jurre
Partaker
#249 | Posted: 26 Sep 2021 18:13 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#250 | Posted: 26 Sep 2021 18:22 

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#251 | Posted: 2 Oct 2021 17:31 | Edited by: winterkjm 
3 Korean WHS in the News

Baekje Historic Areas - Exhibition of full contents of King Muryeong's Tomb in Gongju for the 1st time
Royal Joseon Tombs of the Joseon Dynasty - Sight of Apartment Buildings under construction threatens Jangneung tomb in Gimpo, demolition considered
Getbol, Korean Tidal Flats - Value of Getbol and planned Phase II expansion in 2025

Author Jurre
Partaker
#252 | Posted: 3 Oct 2021 17:58 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#253 | Posted: 4 Oct 2021 18:55 
Las impresionantes imágenes del nacimiento de un elefante marino en Península Valdés

The impressive images of the birth of a sea elephant in Peninsula Valdés

WHS Peninsula Valdes

Page  Page 17 of 17:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  15  16  17 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 WHS in the news

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑