World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

Mapping Former TWHS

Page  Page 6 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#76 | Posted: 9 Jun 2018 05:14 
Great thanks, I'm out and about today so probably won't get a chance to update them.

Will have a look a little more in the Syrian ones

Chellah is part of the Rabat inscription but Sale isn't unless we m missing something

Author Assif
Partaker
#77 | Posted: 9 Jun 2018 09:11 
Italy Europe Castles of the Trentino
Unsure which castles were meant, there is no available documentation. Probably at least the two most significant ones were included. These are:
Castello Buonconsiglio 46.071736, 11.126629
Castello Beseno 45.931189, 11.109862
There are about 20 more, so I think these should be sufficient as a speculation.
Italy Europe Complessi di culto romanici dell'Abruzzo
Again, there are many Romanesque churches and monasteries around Abruzzo. I have just picked up two significant ones.
Duomo di Teramo 42.658802, 13.704409
Basilica S. Maria di Collemaggio, L'Aquila 42.342887, 13.405061
Italy Europe Fascia costiera da Castellammare del Golfo a Trapani, con Erice, Mozia e la Isole Egadi
Castellamare del Golfo 38.026747, 12.881678
Trapani 38.020372, 12.499377
Erice 38.037620, 12.585418
Mozia 37.869106, 12.467977
Isole Egadi 37.973793, 12.055232
Italy Europe Fortezze dei Montefeltro
This was probably an extension to Urbino. I could find only one:
Forte San Leo 43.897265, 12.346406
Italy Europe Parco e Ville dei Castelli Romani (Colli Albani)
41.742840, 12.735003
Italy Europe Thermal architecture of Arco
I could find no thermal connection to Arco.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#78 | Posted: 9 Jun 2018 10:05 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
Italy Europe Thermal architecture of Arco
I could find no thermal connection to Arco.

See?? -
http://www.visitgarda.com/en/Arco-vacanze-lago-garda/?s=360
"Arco owes its fame to its clear, limpid atmosphere which, together with the mildness of the climate, earned it the designation natural clinic during the era of the Austrian Kurort (1872  1925). The Austrian domination left its mark on Arco, on the parks and gardens, on the elegant liberty villas and the beautiful renaissance buildings."
see section here on "tourism" - http://www.museoaltogarda.it/en/mostre/permanenti/storia
The current "reality" in terms of buildings etc looks pretty "thin" though - or they aren't publicising it very well.

PS - a bit more about its heydays - https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pgLCDQAAQBAJ&pg=PT267&lpg=PT267&dq=kafka+in+Arco+ trentino&source=bl&ots=qc7t4pBdpZ&sig=9lMMz0pOchtnIH0ilsJPetGaJBY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahU KEwjWiNKBj8fbAhUHIsAKHbgJA3U4ChDoAQg-MAM#v=onepage&q=kafka%20in%20Arco%20trentino&f=f alse
I was reading that Kafka, Brod etc etc had, as their favourite cafe haunt in Prague, one which was called the "Arco" - I wonder if it was named after this Trentino town???

I have just checked the correct translation of the Italian word "Terme" as in "Montecatini Terme" .It is, as I thought, simply "Spa". I suspect that the title given to this "Former T List" entry was incorrectly translated to "Thermal Architecture" from the Italian implying (in English) hot water springs etc etc when all it means is a "spa" which the above links clearly demonstrate that Arco was - it should simply have been "Spa Architecture of Arco" - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spa_architecture.
As far as I can see Arco never made it for consideration as a possible member of the towns going for inscription as "Great Spas of Europe" - only Montecatini for Italy. And the question still remains as to which structures/areas in Arco might have been considered to have had potential for nomination as examples of period "Spa Architecture".
That doesn't matter for our immediate purpose of course - namely to assign some coordinates to this Former T List" site. Just choose the centre??

Author Assif
Partaker
#79 | Posted: 9 Jun 2018 14:29 
Thanks for the explanation, Solivagant. It seems plausible. Nonetheless, in the German speaking countries Spa architecture only relates to hot springs (as all of the examples in the Wiki article). All such towns share some similar features - the Kurbad, Kurhaus, Kurgaten etc. These are missing in Arco, but as you say, this might just be a problem with the correct terminology.

Arco 45.918700, 10.884733

Author Assif
Partaker
#80 | Posted: 9 Jun 2018 14:35 
Great Inselberg Archipelago of N Mozambique is now located at Quirimbas NP which is a current TWHS.

Author Assif
Partaker
#81 | Posted: 10 Jun 2018 02:36 | Edited by: Assif 
Solivagant:
Mexico Monterrey's Industrial Facilities: Foundry, Brewery and Glassworks
Foundry - same as Blast furnace???

The only year in which both appear is 2009. Until then it was Monterrey's Industrial Facilities and after it became just the Blast furnace. I guess this was a reduction to just one aspect of the FTWHS industrial facilities.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#82 | Posted: 10 Jun 2018 06:03 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
The only year in which both appear is 2009. Until then it was Monterrey's Industrial Facilities and after it became just the Blast furnace

This link shows that the work to turn the derelict Blast Furnace No 3 into Monterrey into part of a new leisure park area and, in its case specifically a Museum completed in 2007 - http://www.horno3.org/historia/
Regarding the other industries.
Monterrey has at least 1 brewery which goes back to the days of Monterrey's expansion and is still operating as part of Heineken https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuauht%C3%A9moc_Moctezuma_Brewery
Similarly Monterrey's glass industry is still going albeit under an international brand - it has a glass museum -
http://vitro.com/en/our-company/history

It looks as if Mexico/Monterrey decided that trying to bring all 3 industries together into a single WHS wasn't going to work and dropped Brewing/Glass at around the same time that the Horno 3 museum facility was opened -though whether these other industries ever had "earmarked" locations when they were first put into the T List - who knows? Possibly not?

As for the Monterrey Blast Furnace as possible WHS? Well Germany and Japan have got there first with this subject -does the List really need a 3rd and does the Monterrey example add anything to those 2??

Author Assif
Partaker
#83 | Posted: 12 Jun 2018 16:47 
Herðubreið and Askja (Iceland) - Askja is included in the current TWHS Vatnajökull National Park, so only the first is a FTWHS location.

Author Assif
Partaker
#84 | Posted: 12 Jun 2018 17:13 
Solivagant:
But I can't find anything describing a genuine "Ruta" on the Canaries and the sites in/around Huelva still seem "more likely" to me as the current "manifestation" of this T List site

I agree. This would mean that Ruta Colombina is no longer a FTWHS.

Solivagant:
(Els/Assif do you understand/remember the origin of this comment in our history of the Toledo site - I can't trace it?? Perhaps it is incorrect? It isn't exactly "logical" or supported by early UNESCO documentation etc)

What was meant was that the 1986 nomination included in its scope the hospital which was a TWHS in 1984. The city of Toledo was not at that T list.
https://whc.unesco.org/archive/1984/sc-84-conf001-2e.pdf

Author Assif
Partaker
#85 | Posted: 12 Jun 2018 17:22 | Edited by: Assif 
And some new FTWHS for Italy again:

Terracina (1984)
Arch of Benevento (1984)
Montepulciano, San Biagio (1984)

https://whc.unesco.org/archive/1984/sc-84-conf001-2e.pdf

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#86 | Posted: 12 Jun 2018 17:33 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Assif:
What was meant was that the 1986 nomination included in its scope the hospital which was a TWHS in 1984. The city of Toledo was not at that T list.

I am getting very lost on this - I thought we had decided a few days ago that the Hospital was NOT in Toledo but in Granada - with the same name.

Similarly with the Ruta Colombina - jonathonfr provided documentary evidence that the Ruta Colombina on the T List was in the Canaries

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#87 | Posted: 13 Jun 2018 03:43 
Solivagant:
jonathonfr provided documentary evidence that the Ruta Colombina on the T List was in the Canaries

Yes I confirm, and the central point for our mapping could be the Casa de Colón (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria)

Author Assif
Partaker
#88 | Posted: 13 Jun 2018 14:06 | Edited by: Assif 
Solivagant:
I am getting very lost on this - I thought we had decided a few days ago that the Hospital was NOT in Toledo but in Granada - with the same name.

Maybe both were considered. The one on the 1984 T-list is in Toledo, as its name says (see link above).

Solivagant:
Similarly with the Ruta Colombina - jonathonfr provided documentary evidence that the Ruta Colombina on the T List was in the Canaries

Sorry, I missed this one.

Author Assif
Partaker
#89 | Posted: 19 Jun 2018 13:45 
meltwaterfalls, are you going to pursue with the mapping of the FTWHS? I think it is nice to have a map of all of them.
What sites are still to be located?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#90 | Posted: 20 Jun 2018 09:58 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Hi Assif, yep will carry this on, we aren't far off (64 to go). (updated map)

I've just had a busy period at work so haven't been able to finish it off.

If anyone wants to pick up those remaining sites please feel free to carry on, if not I will just plod on through.

I may have missed some that have been recently updated, flag them up to me if I have.

Burkina Faso 1
Cameroon 1
Congo (Republic) 1
Tunisia 1
Yemen 1
Philippines 2
Madagascar 3
Congo (Democratic Republic) 6
China 9
Syria 19
Spain 20
Grand Total 64

Currently missing:
Burkina Faso Africa Niangouri
Cameroon Africa Cases-obus de Karsiki
China Asia Extension Project of Ancient Villages in South Anhui Province: Tangyue, Likeng and Wangkou village
China Asia Extension Project of Temple and Cemetery of Confucius and the Kong Family Mansion in Qufu: Temple of Confucius at Nishan
China Asia Jixian - conservation area of Mid/Upper Proterozoic
China Asia Putuo Mountain Scenic Resort
China Asia Shanxi Businessmen's Courtyard Houses
China Asia Site of Ancient Copper Mine: Site of Ancient Copper Mine in Tongling
China Asia Site of the Qi State Capital and the Mausoleum of King of the Qi State at Linzi
China Asia The Forest of Steles in Xian
China Asia Tonglushan Ancient Copper Mine Sites
Congo (Democratic Republic) Africa Bunzi Sanctuary
Congo (Democratic Republic) Africa Kundelungu Park
Congo (Democratic Republic) Africa Maiko park
Congo (Democratic Republic) Africa Manbetu court
Congo (Democratic Republic) Africa Mbanga-Ngungu Caves
Congo (Democratic Republic) Africa Royal village of Bakuba
Congo (Republic) Africa Church of Lounzolo
Madagascar Africa Complex Defensif de la Cote Est Malagasy
Madagascar Africa Fort de Mahavelona
Madagascar Africa Sites Islamiques du Nord-Ouest
Philippines Asia Jesuit Churches of the Philippines
Philippines Asia Spanish Colonial Fortifications of the Philippines
Spain Europe Camino de la lengua castellana, La Rioja
Spain Europe Colonias industriales de los ríos Cardener y Llobregat
Spain Europe Cultural Itinerary of Francis Xavier
Spain Europe El arte efímero en la fiesta del Corpus Christi Castilla-La Mancha
Spain Europe El Barranco de Poquoira, Granada
Spain Europe El camino de caballos de Menorca
Spain Europe El Canal de Castilla, Castilla-León
Spain Europe Hôpital Royal de la Santa Cruz
Spain Europe Iglesias rurales de Ibiza y Formentera
Spain Europe La Celtiberia, Aragón
Spain Europe La Ruta de la Sal (Canarias)
Spain Europe La ruta de los dólmenes, Extremadura
Spain Europe La ruta del comercio de la nieve, Comun Valenc
Spain Europe Las representaciones teatrales de caracter popular Cast- La Manch
Spain Europe Las Torres de defensa, Baleares
Spain Europe Renaissance and Baroque Arch in the City of Granada (extension of Granada)
Spain Europe The Architecture of Dry Built Stone
Spain Europe The Monastery of San Lorenzo de El Escorial and Natural Surroundings
Spain Europe The Works of Antoni Gaudí (8 locations extension)
Spain Europe Wine and Vineyard Cultural Itinerary through Mediterranean Towns
Syria Asia Bourade
Syria Asia Carqabis
Syria Asia Danes
Syria Asia L'Ancienne route traversant la Region d'Al-lajat
Syria Asia La Forteresse d'al-Rahbe
Syria Asia La Forteresse de Ja'abar
Syria Asia La Forteresse de Marqab
Syria Asia La Forteresse de Najm
Syria Asia La Route Romain entre Alep et Antakia
Syria Asia Le Palais de Ibn Wardan
Syria Asia Salhiet al-Fourat
Syria Asia Sarjaleh
Syria Asia Sergilla
Syria Asia Sit el Roum
Syria Asia Syrrhus
Syria Asia Tell Ade
Syria Asia Tell Ein-dara
Syria Asia Tell El-Machrafa (Qatana)
Syria Asia Zeus Madbachus
Tunisia Africa Site de Ben Jasla
Yemen Asia Site de Naynoune Al-Hada'

Page  Page 6 of 10:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next » 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 Mapping Former TWHS

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑