World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /  

Future Volume of nominations

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author Durian
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 16 Jun 2016 05:53 
winterkjm:
China > than 20

I know that China has many great sites but most of the sites before WHS nomination are relatively unknown, that make me wonder are there any international well known site in China that still not be WHS or not even in the tentative list?

I can think only Shanghai's iconic waterfront "The Bund" and Hong Kong's colonial heritage.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 16 Jun 2016 08:46 
Durian:
I know that China has many great sites but most of the sites before WHS nomination are relatively unknown, that make me wonder are there any international well known site in China that still not be WHS or not even in the tentative list?

How many of the sites inscribed in France or Italy are internationally known before inscription? That is part of the reason why so many places vie for the title in the first place, to get known to a larger audience.

Looking at Germany I feel that easily 25% of all sites are little known. Even to Germans: Lorsch, Grube Messel, Wies, Völklinger Hütte, Brühl, Berlin Modernist Housing Estates, Corvey, Alfeld, Beech Forests, Bayreuth, Muskau ... come to my mind.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 16 Jun 2016 12:57 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Asia Volume of Nominations (Inscriptions)

Afghanistan < than 5
Australia < than 10
Bangladesh < than 5
Brunei < than 3
Fiji 1 or <
Kazakhstan < than 5
Kiribati 0
Kyrgyzstan < than 3
Maldives < than 3
Marshall Islands 1 or <
Micronesia < than 3
Nepal < than 3
New Zealand < than 5
Palau 1 or <
Singapore 1 or <
Solomon Islands 0
Sri Lanka < than 3
Tajikistan < than 5
Tonga 1 or <
Turkmenistan < than 3
Vanuatu 1 or <
Vietnam < than 5

Bhutan > than 5
Cambodia > than 5
China > than 20
Korean Peninsula > than 5
India > than 20
Indonesia > than 5
Iran > than 10
Japan > than 5
Laos > than 5
Malaysia > than 5
Mongolia > than 5
Myanmar > than 10
Pakistan > than 5
Papua New Guinea > than 5
Philippines > than 5
Thailand > than 5
Uzbekistan > than 5

Durian:

Very little that's famous in the West, but plenty of deserving sites. For example, take a look at China's AAAAA listed tourist attractions. Some of these sites deserve world heritage status. I actually think China will have little difficulty achieving 20 more inscription over the next two decades, Iran however may have a bit more of a challenge. China's size also bodes well for dozens of successful cultural and natural nominations.

Assif:
Micronesia, Maldives, Iran, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan

Done! I agree with your suggestions, but if Uzbekistan can improve their dossiers I have to believe they have more than 3 inscriptions!

Author pikkle
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 16 Jun 2016 21:46 | Edited by: pikkle 
nfmungard:
Looking at Germany I feel that easily 25% of all sites are little known. Even to Germans: Lorsch, Grube Messel, Wies, Völklinger Hütte, Brühl, Berlin Modernist Housing Estates, Corvey, Alfeld, Beech Forests, Bayreuth, Muskau ... come to my mind.

I feel that these three are pretty well known, especially the Wieskirche which features in a ton of English-based tourist multimedia. It is extremely well-known. Bayreuth for classical music lovers (this has begun to appear on Tauck tours, which I occasionally glance at when relatives have their magazines), and to a lesser extent Corvey. But you have a point, they are not the most well known sites - but I personally wouldn't remove a single one, even though I believe there are much better Carolingian sites than Lorsch Gateway. The St. Michaels Kirche in Fulda for example always gives me a much more profound feeling of "being back where it all began."

Author Durian
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 16 Jun 2016 22:20 | Edited by: Durian 
nfmungard:
How many of the sites inscribed in France or Italy are internationally known before inscription? That is part of the reason why so many places vie for the title in the first place, to get known to a larger audience.

I think each country has different approach on WHS, some countries prefer to propose site that are already well known and some prefer the sites that are lesser known. I don't presume that the selection of lesser known site is to get larger audience, most of famous site tend to be much developed to receive tourism and lose its authenticity, for example Slovenia's Postojna Cave and Skojan Cave. For the first decade of Chinese WHS program, I think they use the first approach and submit the internationally well known sites, that why I questioned are there any well known sites that still left behind. Btw Thanks Winterkjm for this list 5A site.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 03:28 
pikkle:
Bayreuth

Bayreuth is not the site. And Wagner's Opera neither. It's the previous opera house and this I would argue is little known. ;)

Durian:
Btw Thanks Winterkjm for this list 5A site.

Very long list. Pictures would help to get a feel for it.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 04:48 | Edited by: Solivagant 
winterkjm:
For example, take a look at China's AAAAA listed tourist attractions. Some of these sites deserve world heritage status

An interesting list - well worth a detailed trawl through. BUT it does contain a fair amount of dross in the form of modern "attractions"/theme parks etc. I guess the "AAAAA" is determined largely by the numbers visiting rather than by OUV though it claims to be an accolade "given to some of the most important places or buildings according to China's history and culture". It is also very "East coast" oriented. So - nothing from Tibet but also nothing from Sizchuan!! I haven't actually found much of value which isn't already a WHS among all the entries

I particularly noted the entry for the city of Tianjin. "Guwenhua Jie" sounds great but this Wiki entry says SO much about the reality of the place (which we have visited -Tianjin has far more interesting places e.g the old Concession Area buildings)! The "bolds" are mine!
"Tianjin Ancient Culture Street (Chinese: 古文化街; pinyin: Gǔwénhuà Jiē) is a cultural tourist attraction on the west bank of the Hai River in Nankai District, Tianjin, China. It is classified as a AAAAA scenic area by the China National Tourism Administration.
Tianjin Ancient Culture Street was opened on New Year´s Day in 1986, the overall construction has the folk architectural style of Qing dynasty, with Tin Hau (Matsu Temple) located in the centre of the whole street. There are nearly hundreds of stores along the street, among them Yangliuqing painting gallery and painted clay sculpture of Clay Figure Zhang are most famous, as well as calligraphy and painting brushes(文房四宝) of Four Treasures and Spring Church, cultural antiques of Sui Man Chai and cloisonne (景泰蓝), double-sided embroidery (双面绣), jade carvings (牙玉雕), art ceramics (艺术陶瓷), Chinese and Western musical instruments and gold and silver jewellery from dozens of artists and craftmen."

Author Khuft
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 10:13 | Edited by: Khuft 
Solivagant:
winterkjm: For example, take a look at China's AAAAA listed tourist attractions. Some of these sites deserve world heritage statusAn interesting list - well worth a detailed trawl through. BUT it does contain a fair amount of dross in the form of modern "attractions"/theme parks etc. I guess the "AAAAA" is determined largely by the numbers visiting rather than by OUV though it claims to be an accolade "given to some of the most important places or buildings according to China's history and culture". It is also very "East coast" oriented. So - nothing from Tibet but also nothing from Sizchuan!!

The English wikipedia site seems to be incomplete. The Chinese version has sites also in Tibet (Potala and Jokhang), in Sichuan etc. Here's the google-transldated version:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=h ttps%3A%2F%2Fzh.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F%25E5%259B%25BD%25E5%25AE%25B65A%25E7%25BA%25A 7%25E6%2597%2585%25E6%25B8%25B8%25E6%2599%25AF%25E5%258C%25BA&edit-text=

Author elsslots
Admin
#39 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 10:41 
Khuft:
google-transldated version:

I don't see the "hometown of Deng Xiaoping tourist area" getting universal recognition though

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 18:09 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Good point, the list is based on very different criteria than we are familiar with. However, between the AAAAA list and the AAAA list there are some worthy sites we have little knowledge of.

Author echwel
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 17 Jun 2016 18:33 
winterkjm:
China's AAAAA listed tourist attractions.

Five `A`s?!

And I thought the triple A status of certain banks was already a little awquard...

Author Assif
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 18 Jun 2016 11:34 | Edited by: Assif 
winterkjm:
Asia Volume of Nominations (Inscriptions)

I would also all small island nations that could manage to have (at least or at most) one site inscribed: East Timor, Nauru, Tuvalu (all to join the world heritage convention yet), Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa.

winterkjm:
Malaysia > than 5
Mongolia > than 5

For both I am rather a skeptic. I believe Mongolia could manage about 3 more nominations and Malaysia 3-5.

winterkjm:
Tajikistan < than 5

I would say smaller than 3 (similar to Turkmentistan and Kyrgyzstan).

Author Assif
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 18 Jun 2016 17:30 | Edited by: Assif 
I shall give an attempt to pursue with the Americas:

Antigua and Barbuda: 1
Bahamas: 1-2
Belize: < 3
Bolivia: < 3
Costa Rica: < 3
Cuba: < 3
Dominica: < 1
Dominican Rep.: < 3
Ecuador: < 5
El Salvador: < 3
Grenada: 1
Guatemala: < 5
Haiti: 1-2
Honduras: < 3
Jamaica: < 3
Nicaragua: < 3
Panama: < 1
Paraguay: 1-2
Puerto Rico (USA): < 3
St. Kitts and Nevis: < 1
St. Vincent and the Grenadines: 1
Trinidad Tobago: 1-2
Uruguay: < 1
Venezuela: < 3

Argentina > 5
Brazil: > 10
Canada: > 5
Chile: > 5
Colombia: > 7
Mexico: > 10
Peru: > 10
USA: > 20

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 21 Jun 2016 10:44 
Thanks Assif, I think your asessment is a very reasonable estimate. Arab States? Does anyone have an opinion here?

Author Assif
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 22 Jun 2016 17:14 
winterkjm:
Did anyone notice Austria's tentative list is about to be exhausted (2019), with the exceptions of old nominations pre-2003.

After googling Austria a little I think you are right in estimating that none of the old tentative entries will apply in the future. Some of them tried and failed (Hohe Tauern, Innsbruck, Bregenzerwald). Others will never try. See Steyr for example:
http://www.meinbezirk.at/steyr/lokales/rudentanz-ist-immaterielles-weltkulturerbe-d61 1821.html

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
General discussions about WHS www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / General discussions about WHS /
 Future Volume of nominations

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑